01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

2 Cameras to a single NAS drive

Brent Miller

I have one Hikvision 2CD camera recording video to my 1TB nas hard drive. I believe that by creating another folder on the hard drive that I can have 2 cameras recording video on motion detected to that hard drive. Both camera will point to the same ip address of the drive, but record to different folders. So one records to ip xxx.x.x.xx folder \\frontcamera and the other camera to the same ip address but \\rearcamera.
Any reason why this would not work.

This should work fine - I do this myself. The only issue you may have is how it records - SMB (windows shares) or NFS. I have yet to make either work reliably with the cameras partitioning. They always go "offline" after a reboot or after formatting. This happens with recent firmware changes that can't be patched by third party hacks. If you have a completely separate NFS drive, this will work. If you have a completely separate SMB partition it should also work...

So I have been trying to do this without success. I purchased an identical 2CD-2032-1 camera and it works fine when I log on and program it. I then created a new folder on my nas drive. I can format the nas drive and it shows normal. Then after several minutes the status changes back to uninitialized. I am using the SMB/CIFS mounting type option. The first camera continues to record video on motion so it is not affected. I am using a Western Digital 1 TB mybook world edition nas.
Any ideas are welcome.

Further investigations. After the last format, the NAS showed normal for several hours. Then when I checked the "enable record schedule" the nas went to uninitialized.

On mine (I have two DS-2CD2032-I) I have set up two shares on my NAS (a QNAP). Not using NFS. Have TWO SEPARATE USERS though - not using admin or the same user id. It needs this as it uses quotas to work out when to start deleting. If both your cameras are logging in with the same UID it will get confused. So.. two users for me and two separate folders. I also made sure the folders were OWNED by the relevant user, not admin. Then, my QNAP quotas work as expected, and report as expected to the camera.

Well changing the camera user id's and formatting the nas drive seems to have worked. I am seeing video recordings from both cameras now.

Thanks for your help.

Back