01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

A question about DDNS

stanzanim

I connect to the WAN using ddns (with no-ip): I register to it in my router/modem so I do not get the point of the reason why I should enable ddns individually fr each IP CAM.
Should I disable it if my router is subscribed already to a DDNS provider? Does it means that if the router is not subscribed to a DDNS provider I can subscribe on the IP CAMs individually?

please explain (and I am sorry for the maybe stupid question - I am assuming there are no stupid questions out there :) )

Moreover if I connect to <my-dns-adr>:<port> via explorer I can see the IPCAM page and live playback working , but if connect from iVMS-4500 android app and specify the same device address and port the Live playback does not work :(

Last edited:
From your post, I'm assuming you're connecting to individual cameras rather than a NVR/DVR?

I connect to the WAN using ddns (with no-ip): I register to it in my router/modem so I do not get the point of the reason why I should enable ddns individually fr each IP CAM.
Correct you don't need to and shouldn't. Only the one device should be updating the no-ip account when your IP address changes. Frequent repeated DDNS updates can be seen as abuse may cause your provider to suspend updates (DYN DNS do this)

Moreover if I connect to <my-dns-adr>:<port> via explorer I can see the IPCAM page and live playback working , but if connect from iVMS-4500 android app and specify the same device address and port the Live playback does not work :(
When you connect via explorer you are making a http connection and if you've changed the port adding that after the : in your address bar.

In iVMS 4500 app you add the device using method IP/Domain and the address is just <my-dns-adr> Don't add a port there - just the domain. Where it says "Port" type in the Server port (8000 if you didn't change it) not the Http port.

With iVMS 4500, depending on your router, you may or may not be able to reach the the cameras using the dns address while you're on the same network. If you can't you'll need to add a second entry using the cameras local address.

In iVMS 4500 app you add the device using method IP/Domain and the address is just <my-dns-adr> Don't add a port there - just the domain. Where it says "Port" type in the Server port (8000 if you didn't change it) not the Http port.
Thanks much for your reply
I do this in the android app but I got a connection timeout error
I still cannot figure out a scenario where I should enable DDNS on the indivudual IP CAMs ...

regard

Thanks much for your reply
I do this in the android app but I got a connection timeout error
I still cannot figure out a scenario where I should enable DDNS on the indivudual IP CAMs ...

regard
You don't mention much about what you have and how you've configured the cameras and network. Have you proven that the ports you've forwarded are open and if you are using multiple IP cameras without an NVR, have you used and forwarded separate ports for each as required? The timeout error may be due to the loopback support I mentioned in my last post. If you're on the same network - try disabling your WiFi and see if it connects using mobile data. If so you'll need to other add a second copy of the camera using it's internal IP address.

As I said there is no need to enable DDNS on the individual IP camera as you have enabled it on the router. However one such scenario where you might need to add DDNS on the individual camera would be if you had a router that did not support DDNS - not all do. In that case you would need to either enable it on at least one camera or install DDNS software on a PC connected to the same network, in order to keep the address updated.

The timeout error may be due to the loopback support I mentioned in my last post
sorry but I did not find any reference to loopback support. I dig into the camera option but I did not find the loopback support disable option. How can do this?

I got the point about second entry with local IP addresses

thanks much

Last edited:
You don't mention much about what you have and how you've configured the cameras and network. Have you proven that the ports you've forwarded are open and if you are using multiple IP cameras without an NVR, have you used and forwarded separate ports for each as required?
The ports are correctly forwarded: the iVR client on w10 works fine (I can see both cameras live playback). Cameras uses different IPs and different ports. I am not using any NVR for the moment. I plan to use QNAP QVR Pro (I am learning ....)

sorry but I did not find any reference to loopback support. I dig into the camera option but I did not find the loopback support disable option. How can do this?

I got the point about second entry with local IP addresses

thanks much

Loopback (I forget the correct term) isn’t an option in either the camera or router. It’s just something that the router needs to support to allow you to connect to your IP camera using the domain or external IP address from a device on the inside of your network. You’re unlikely to find it detailed in any specification. There’s a website somewhere with a list of routers that do support the function but it’s not a conclusive list and I’m not sure how up to date it will be.

Back