01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Acusense Settings - Best practice ?

mkssab

Hi there!

Sorry if this has been answered before but could not find a solid answer to my question :)

So what im wondering is what is the best practise in terms of configuring Acusense Cameras + Non Acusense I-series NVR ?

What im trying to understand is this : is it better to perform all the config on the cameras own web interface or is it better to do the settings via the NVR web interface ?

For instance.. When i login directly to the camera there seems to be more options available to really optimize the camera settings like Target validity etc...

Theese options are not shown within the NVR when choosing the camera .

What im going to use is the intrusion detection option under Smart event .

So to summarize : Settings directly in Camera or is it better to do all settings on NVR ? :)

Maybe should mention what hardware i use :)

NVR : DS-7716NI-I4
Firmware version*
V4.61.010 build 220527

Cameras : DS-2CD2346G2-ISU/SL
Firmware version*
V5.7.3 build 220216

For AcuSense camera with non AcuSense NVR. Best practice to avoid conflicts (and confusion)

1 - Carry out all available settings via the NVR interface and apply them.

2 - Then access the camera interface directly and only adjust what wasn't available in the NVR, otherwise you'll overwrite settings you've already completed.

As an example in the NVR for line crossing you could draw the line, set the direction, linkage actions, set the min/max object size (depending on firmware). So you would do that and save it, then access the camera interface and just set the target validity.

The thing to remember is that ALL of those settings are saved in the camera. The NVR interface is merely a method to access them and in some cases there isn't a 'link' between the NVR menu interface and specific settings in the camera menu interface.....But you want to set what you can via the NVR interface so that the settings you can see, accurately reflect the destination settings in the camera. That is the same for video and image settings as well.

Last edited:
For AcuSense camera with non AcuSense NVR. Best practice to avoid conflicts (and confusion)

Carry out all available settings via the NVR interface and apply them.

Then access the camera interface directly and only adjust what wasn't available in the NVR, otherwise you'll overwrite what you've already done.
I see ..

And how wil the NVR know to " pick up " the setting i have done on the camera ?

i have work a lot with Milestone VMS .. And whenever you make settings directly in the camera you need to setup an " event " that send the info to the VMS .. in this case the NVR .. Is this done " automaticlly " on a Hikvision product or are there any setting im missing here ?

Btw .. The cameras are NOT connected directly to the NVR POE-Input

This is how its connected :

Camera --- POE Switch --- NVR

Thank you

And how wil the NVR know to " pick up " the setting i have done on the camera ?
It has no choice - the NVR will just receive the settings from the camera as it does its video stream.

Is this done " automaticlly " on a Hikvision product or are there any setting im missing here ?
Yes - there's no additional config. There have been many posts on here where users have battled programming both the camera then the NVR or vice versa not realising that they are adjusting the same parameter just from another location. For all settings NVR first, any other parameters (only if needed) in the camera.
Btw .. The cameras are NOT connected directly to the NVR POE-Input
That's fine. It doesn't matter whether they are on the PoE ports of the NVR , a PoE switch connected to a PoE port on the NVR, or a PoE switch connected to the local network. Once the camera has been added to an available channel, it's the same setup regardless as the NVR interface will save the settings on the camera.

Without wanting to appear totally dumb, if the settings made via the NVR are saved on the camera and the NVR interface is merely another method to access them, why does it matter so much?
you want to set what you can via the NVR interface so that the settings you can see, accurately reflect the destination settings in the camera. That is the same for video and image settings as well.
I get what you stated here but wonder if there are other reasons at play and why I see the reccomendation that Easy IP4 cams should only be used with the I series NVR.

Without wanting to appear totally dumb, if the settings made via the NVR are saved on the camera and the NVR interface is merely another method to access them, why does it matter so much?
Its simply to avoid confusion. If you set them via the NVR interface, the NVR config is updated and displays the same settings in the GUI/web interface that are saved on the camera. The same settings are then visible in both the NVR and the camera.

If you set them directly in the camera, the NVR has no idea as you've bypassed it. Operationally it won't make a difference as the NVR will act on whatever is sent from the camera. However the visible information in the NVR web interface/GUI will remain unchanged for a time. Typically rebooting the NVR will read the settings from the camera as it connects.

When users start messing around in both the NVR and the camera, they're changing the same parameter but end up in a situation where different values are displayed for those parameters, depending on which interface they're looking at. This can make finding a config issue more difficult.

I disagree regarding only using those cameras with an I series. I've installed them with K1's, K2's and even discontinued E series models without issue. The I series local interface is more up to date and better featured. That makes it easier to use the AcuSense filter during playback, easier to filter events to a specific VCA type etc, and easier to configure as more options are available directly from the NVR. I did see a specific warning, that using Hik Connect 2 way audio to a capable camera through the K1 NVRs was an issue - the camera needed to be added to Hik Connect individually (via the LAN not the NVR POE interface) for it to function. But that's about it.

Last edited:
Back