01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Advice on connecting a garden cctv camera to HikVision DVR

SteMac32

Hi,

I recently installed a Hikvision DVR for a family member , all's working well with the kit and i've now been asked if i can add another camera to the summerhouse. Problem i have is that the summerhouse is situated at the bottom of the garden ( around 30m from the house where the DVR to be connected to is located ), there is power in the summerhouse but that's all. I tested the WiFi down the garden and at best it was very weak and most of the time dropping out. Unfortunately running cable from the DVR down the garden to the camera is not an option as it would have to cross a shared tarmac access road.

I'm hoping you guys can advise me of what solutions are available, what kit is required and the level of skill needed as i suspect it's not going to be any easy fix.

The DVR model is iDS-7208HUHI-K1-4S(B) and there are currently 3 Hikvision colorVu camera's connected to it.

Regards

Hi @SteMac32

If the power in the summerhouse is on the same circuit as the main house you can use a Powerline device to make a network connection over the mains. If it is a separate circuit then the other option would be to use a WiFi Bridge.

As @Dan says, Powerline may work. It doesn't necessarily need to be on the same electrical circuit, but if the summerhouse circuit is on a different RCD (or RCBO if every MBB has integral earth fault protection) it may not work. Just get a set from Amazon - try it out and if you can't get a link, return them as unwanted (gotta love Amazon!). I tend to use the TP-Link PA4010PKIT as they're reliable and have pass through (you don't need an additional socket)

To test just plug one in behind your router and connect to a LAN Port. Do a speed test with a laptop direct to the router. Plug one at the summerhouse end, then plug a laptop in and do another speed test. Results will fluctuate between tests but ideally you want 15Mbps. If it works:

- Unplug the router and plug it back in using one - connect a patch cord between the Powerline and a spare LAN Port on the router
- At the other end plug into an available outlet, then plug a POE adaptor into it (I use TP-Link POE-150S)
- Link a patch cord between the Power line and LAN in the adaptor.
- CAT5E from Power & LAN out on the adaptor to your IP camera
- Configure onto the NVR (it will likely discover it automatically)

You must plug the power lines directly into a socket - not an extension lead.

Reactions: Dan
And if the above doesn't work - create a wireless bridge.

Use a POE network switch at the outbuilding side to provide power to a POE camera - than connect the network switch to one of a pair of transmitter receivers - with the other transmitter receiver at the house end - then cable that to the NVR.

Several brands of network bridge are available - I've used TP-Link and Ubiquiti which have both been very reliable.

Hey Guys, thanks for your replies.

I'm going to try the powerline option first simply because the wireless bridge option seems a touch more complicated.

The TP Link Kit looks a good option, are these just wired network links or do they also give WiFi, i've checked the specs and there's no details on this, also the DVR is analogue but am i correct in saying that it will allow 2 IP camera's to connect to it?

Hey Guys, thanks for your replies.

I'm going to try the powerline option first simply because the wireless bridge option seems a touch more complicated.

The TP Link Kit looks a good option, are these just wired network links or do they also give WiFi, i've checked the specs and there's no details on this, also the DVR is analogue but am i correct in saying that it will allow 2 IP camera's to connect to it?
The TP Link model I posted is just wired, however various models are available. They do a standard WiFi extender that clones your WiFi SSID and password and rebroadcasts it (without powerline). I think they also do the wired version that has WiFi as well. I wouldn't recommend ANY WiFi extender though, as they are generally problematic.

How many IP cameras the DVR will accept depends on the model and firmware. I think the 4 channel HUHI can have 2 additional IP and your 8 channel can have 4 additional IP cameras. However the additional IP cameras channels are only needed if the DVRs analogue channels are fully populated. In your case, you're only using 3 of your 8 analogue channels, so you can just switch channels 4 through 8 from analogue to IP in the DVR camera settings menu and not need those additional IP channels.

Thanks again, got a day off work so just about to order the TP Link Powerline so fingers crossed its the same circuit.

I suspect that it won't be as simple as plugging the IP Camera directly into the PowerLine as a switch will be required as i believe cymruchris pointed out above if i understood correctly ( thanks Chris ). If so, is this one in the shop the one to order. ( Hikvision DS-3E1105P-EI smart managed 4 port 100Mbps PoE switch ).

Thanks again, got a day off work so just about to order the TP Link Powerline so fingers crossed its the same circuit.

I suspect that it won't be as simple as plugging the IP Camera directly into the PowerLine as a switch will be required as i believe cymruchris pointed out above if i understood correctly ( thanks Chris ). If so, is this one in the shop the one to order. ( Hikvision DS-3E1105P-EI smart managed 4 port 100Mbps PoE switch ).
- At the other end plug into an available outlet, then plug a POE adaptor into it (I use TP-Link POE-150S)
As above - no switch required just the £10 POE injector. And as said it doesn't need to be on the same circuit - you would just get better throughput if it is.

Ok, powerline arrived and injector ordered.

As i will be connecting the IP camera to the Injector / LAN and not directly to the DVR will i have to use the SADP Tool to discover and adjust the network settings of the camera if it's not discovered it automatically.........reason i ask is I'm hoping there's another way as we don't have a PC or laptop between us to download and install the SADP Tool to ( just iPhones and iPads ).

Ok, powerline arrived and injector ordered.

As i will be connecting the IP camera to the Injector / LAN and not directly to the DVR will i have to use the SADP Tool to discover and adjust the network settings of the camera if it's not discovered it automatically.........reason i ask is I'm hoping there's another way as we don't have a PC or laptop between us to download and install the SADP Tool to ( just iPhones and iPads ).
It should grab an address via DHCP from your LAN and so should be visible in the camera menu of the DVR. You can then activate it using the DVR.

Back