01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Antenna for DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS

Guy

Hi everyone,

I have a HIK camera DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS mounted outside above the front door (55 feets away from the HomeHub) and the WIFI seems to be very poor.

Inside the camera, under the arrival of the câble there is something which looks like a mini 4-pin connector unless it’s the antenna itself... If this is the antenna, I've never see such antenna..
(On the user guide they say "Wi-Fi Antenna" but is it the antenna itself or a connector to connect an antenna?)
In any event can I add a most powerful antenna to improve the Wi-Fi? If yes which antenna and how? Thanks you

Hi everyone,

I have a HIK camera DS-2CD2542FWD-IWS mounted outside above the front door (55 feets away from the HomeHub) and the WIFI seems to be very poor.

Inside the camera, under the arrival of the câble there is something which looks like a mini 4-pin connector unless it’s the antenna itself... If this is the antenna, I've never see such antenna..
(On the user guide they say "Wi-Fi Antenna" but is it the antenna itself or a connector to connect an antenna?)
In any event can I add a most powerful antenna to improve the Wi-Fi? If yes which antenna and how? Thanks you

@Guy could this be used instead of the wireless connection? Powerline Adapters | TP-Link United Kingdom . I use them as a data connection to my garden workshop and cameras.

@Guy it looks as though the camera only has internal wifi antennas so for better wifi range try to only use the 2.4GHz wifi network. if possible disable the 5GHz wifi network at the camera or stop the camera connecting to the 5GHz network on your router, you may be able to do this by using the cameras wifi interface mac address.

If the above does not work try setting the camera wifi to 802.11g or 802.11b, you may have to reduce the camera video resolution to use these lower data rates. I often use 802.11b or g for devices on the edge of my wifi network, it gives more stable wifi connections where high data rates are not needed.

Thank you David for your answers.
I forgot to mention that the consumption must be as low as possible because the whole is powered by solar panels and batteries so I’d rather not add overconsumption.

I will try the second solution but if this is not enough or raises other problems I would try to add an antenna with a bigger gain if possible.
Somebody one knows enough the hardware of this camera to validate or refute this solution?

@Guy if you have a window, in your house, that overlooks the camera put a wifi range extender there. make sure the extender mimo specifications match (or better) the cameras mimo specification. I would also connect the range extender to your home SSID and repeat the wifi signal on another ssid. That way you know that only the camera is using that network.

for the solar system, are you using a small wind generator to help charge the batteries? I have worked on sites that run only on solar and wind power.

Hi everyone,

The wi-fi antenna in these wireless Hikvision flat domes is just a tail of cable, it cannot be uprated.
Funnily enough, we receive very few reports/feedback of poor wi-fi though.

Back