01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

bit rate help

Edgie70

Hi all , first post , I'm not that tech savvy with CCTV so go easy please lol . I have a hik vision system and I've been told to get slightly better image quality to increase the bit rate, there is a maximum but rate range , an I better sticking to a bit rate between this or am I better increasing it to the maximum bit rate ??? , I've attached a picture to show how I have the settings , many thanks , Dave
20210422_102728.jpg

Hi @Edgie70

This Hikvision YouTube video explains some basic steps to improve video stream quality, it includes a table of the rough bitrates of different resolutions and you will see that the 2048 bitrate you have set should be more than enough for the max. bitrate draw of the 1080p/H.265 stream you currently have.

It may be that your scene is very busy and you are hitting the limit of this max. bitrate, you can check if this is the case by going to the live view and hovering over the stream information for this camera which will include a live readout of the cameras current bitrate. If it looks like the camera is regularly hitting and/or sticking to that max bitrate you have set then yes I would recommend stepping that max. bitrate up a bit to avoid that bitrate ceiling from compressing the video quality.

I would also recommend switching from Constant Bitrate to Variable Bitrate because variable allows the bitrate to automatically adjust to the bitrate required at that moment in time and stop any loss of video quality.

Hi and thank you so much for your reply. Ive changed to variable bitrate and set the kbps in-between the two figures for min and max in substream too, thank you

Can I just ask you what the ' video quality ' should be set to ?? Is there any issue setting it to its highest ?

There shouldn't be an issue setting it to highest with a 2MP camera. The video quality setting basically makes small adjustments to the compression used on the stream, so Highest quality will use the least amount of compression. Less compression will obviously mean you will see a small rise in bitrate, but this will be a very small increase for a 2MP camera.

Hi Dan , massive thank you for your all replies , I've adjusted a couple of settings and wondered if you could have a look and see if they look ok or if I could tweak anything else to get better quality etc , pics are of record and substream .
20210423_191049.jpg
20210423_191254.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dan , not sure if you saw this , if you could have a quick look , thank you

Hi, @Dan has a week off.
One of us will try to get back here, read and respond later.

I would max out the frames per second and then adjust the bitrate accordingly. Increasing frames per second helps image quality during video playback especially at night when light levels are lower.

Back