01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Breaks in recordings

Munzz

Hi All,

My NVR has x2 cameras assigned to it, both cabled directly to the NVR. The NVR is set to continuous recording.

I noticed today that there was a brief 3 minute period where recording on both cameras had stopped.

I checked the previous day and there was a similar instance at a different time.

What could be causing this? It's as if the NVR has restarted.

Hi Munzz

What are the specific models of the cameras and NVR? Seems like a strange one as the instances were at different times, my first suggestion is to make sure all firmware is as up to date as it can be.

Can you access the NVR logs on iVMS-4200? This should give you some sort of indication as to what could have caused the recording to stop. Have these been the first two instances that you've noticed this?

After digging a bit deeper, these “breaks” happen at least once a day, on 2 of the 2 cameras and have done so for many weeks.

NVR is a DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) and the two cameras are 5mp and 8mp turrets. Firmware is up to date on the NVR, unsure about the cameras although I’m confident that they’re not the problem.

It appears the system completely restarts, and I’ll do some digging into the log files tomorrow to confirm, very frustrating to say the least.

I’ve read somewhere else that disabling UPNP could resolve, although that was suggested back in 2016! I’ve attached an example of what I see.

Attachments

• D9D90E45-D53D-40F2-B813-00228CD7C043.png
    D9D90E45-D53D-40F2-B813-00228CD7C043.png
    1 MB · Views: 204
Just to add, I have attached the below log.

After doing a search it’s apparent I’m not the only one suffering!

Attachments

• F7765ED2-3D18-4E58-BD31-9959BDE64076.jpeg
    F7765ED2-3D18-4E58-BD31-9959BDE64076.jpeg
    8.6 MB · Views: 218
I notice the shutdown seems to have been immediately preceded by an Alarm in that image.
Does that repeat? i.e. is it the case each time your NVR shuts down?
Do you have something wired to the NVR as an alarm?

I think that is a photo of your monitor, it's not easy to read.
Can you please capture a screenshot from your PC and upload it if you need to sahre more/again, thanks.

I notice the shutdown seems to have been immediately preceded by an Alarm in that image.
Does that repeat? i.e. is it the case each time your NVR shuts down?
Do you have something wired to the NVR as an alarm?

I think that is a photo of your monitor, it's not easy to read.
Can you please capture a screenshot from your PC and upload it if you need to sahre more/again, thanks.

Thanks for the response Phil. You're right, I thought the same but after digging deeper I do have a few more examples that do not appear to be triggered due to alarm (see attached). I don't have anything wired into the NVR as an alarm.

My configuration is fairly straightforward. Contentious recording on both cameras, and intrusion detection on both so I can be alerted via Hik-Connect.

Could the attached logs rule out any HDD issues?

Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG

After doing more digging, I may have previously upgraded my NVR to an incorrect firmware which MAY be causing this.

I'm flashing to the correct version and will keep you posted, oops!

Just to update, I’m still seeing breaks in recordings, and after doing some digging on this forum and others it appears to not be an isolated issue.

Although not isolated, there seems to be no answers.

So far I have:

1. Changed HDD
2. Changed network cable
3. Used a socket on a different circuit

What firmware version are you running now?
Do the NVR's HDD tests confirm that your HDD is OK? (no warnings or problems)
Do the logs look the same?
Is there a pattern to the downtime e.g. every day / same time / dawn / dusk?

One potential and slightly hard to track down issue can be potential differences between earthed points in your system - typically this will only happen if you have used screened network cables and earthed them both ends. You may not be aware of having done so.
You can test to see whether disconnecting any thing in the solution makes any difference to the shutdowns e.g. disconnect your network LAN connection for 24hrs - then re-connect, login and see whether there were any issues during the time that cable was disconnected.
If necessary, you can repeat the test for each camera & cable in turn.

Back