01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera compatibility with older Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR?

freakydeakie

Hi, I currently have a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR. I am looking at upgrading my current 4mp camera to a better 8mp hikvision camera with dark fighter. Would the NVR be capable of being connected to an 8mp camera? Thanks

Hi, I currently have a Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P/A NVR. I am looking at upgrading my current 4mp camera to a better 8mp hikvision camera with dark fighter. Would the NVR be capable of being connected to an 8mp camera? Thanks
No the E1 NVR won't accept an 8MP camera. You could lower the resolution of the the 8MP camera but that would defeat the object. Just get either a 2346G2 (Darkfighter) or 2347G2 (ColorVu). Both are 4MP and are far superior to previous 4MP models with regard to image sensor and features. Most of the old 4MP models had a minimum illumination of 0.01lux measured @ f1.2 (while the lens was f1.6) What is your current 4MP model?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Hi and thank you for the reply JB1970, I currently have a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS and the night vision is poor and grainy, but I appreciate its quite old. I also have a Hikwatch IPC-T250H camera at the rear of my property and although it does not have all the functions, the night vision id far superior. Of the 2 cameras you have mentioned, what is the better.

Hi and thank you for the reply JB1970, I currently have a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS and the night vision is poor and grainy, but I appreciate its quite old. I also have a Hikwatch IPC-T250H camera at the rear of my property and although it does not have all the functions, the night vision id far superior. Of the 2 cameras you have mentioned, what is the better.
Both would be better than what you have and vastly superior for nighttime images, but they're very different from one another. Your existing 2142FWD-IS is a dome. I'd not recommend replacing it with another dome, as invariably, even if it's in sheltered position, you'll end up with poor night time images due to dust residue sticking to the glass (and the IR reflecting off that). Both models I mentioned are turret format as opposed to dome and don't suffer from rain residue:

- DS-2CD2346G2-IU is the closest straight swap to your 2142, in that it is colour/monochrome with integral IR illumination. Your 2142 has 1/3" sensor with f2.0 lens - minimum illumination is 0.05 at f1.4 (so actually much worse at the lens aperture of f2.0 as less light is getting in). The DS-2CD2346G2-IU has a larger 1/2.7" sensor with f1.4 lens - minimum illumination is 0.003lux, but that is measured at the actual aperture of f1.4.

- DS-2CD2347G2-IU is a ColorVu model. No infra red, 24/7 colour with warm white LED illuminator (when there's not enough ambient light). These have a very large f1.0 aperture to let more light in and larger image sensor (1/1.8" - bigger than half inch) so the minimum illumination is specified at 0.0005lux.

Minimum illumination figures should be taken with a pinch of salt, however they're useful for comparison between models. Both of those models have integral microphone and AcuSense (though you won't get the benefit of the AcuSense feature fully on the older recorder you have). Choice would boil down to whether you were happy with the possibility of the white LED illuminator coming on if there's not enough light. Some people don't like the white light, some would see the visible light from the camera as a deterrent. I have ColorVu at the front of my house where I have some light from street lighting and I have a dawn to dusk light that provides enough light that the cameras LED never comes on. At the back of my house where there is zero visibility I have the standard cameras with IR illumination (as I don't want to spoil the ambience of the garden)

WOW, thankyou for a great reply and explanation. Yes I think the white LED illuminator would be annoying, so its the DS-2CD2346G2-IU for me.
Really appreciate you help, thanks

WOW, thankyou for a great reply and explanation. Yes I think the white LED illuminator would be annoying, so its the DS-2CD2346G2-IU for me.
Really appreciate you help, thanks
No problem. The older model ColorVu cameras (G1) had quite a cool white LED that was very harsh. The newer ones are definitely softer. It's not like a spotlight or anything. Whether you can set it up without the LED, really depends on whether there's any available light at all. They come set with a very slow shutter by default (1/12sec) and it's necessary to speed that up in order to eliminate motion blur (1/50sec min). The below is an image from a DS-2CD2347G2-IU at midnight with just street lighting. I set this one at 1/50sec shutter speed and have the LED disabled completely.

IMG_3079A5FA03C8-1.jpeg

I think the available light would be a problem. Although I live on a main road and is well lit, the council turn off all street lighting at midnight and it does not come back on until early morning, 5.30am and its very dark during this time. I don't really want the bother of having to install my own lighting. Thanks anyway.

Back