01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Camera pixelation

vj531

I have had two Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I installed on Monday 06/02 and one has become pixelated.
Have checked the setting and they are identical.

Camera_2_2017_02_08_12_05_53.jpg

Any help appreciated

Stephen

****UPDATE****

If you look at the bit rate in the first graphic, you will see it is quite a bit slower on the pixelated cam. Not a clue why though.

Last edited:
Looks like your bitrate settings are too low. It has been a while since I used QNAP, but you should be able to either go to the Camera Configuration window on the left of your screenshot to increase the camera's bitrate, or right click on the entry in that list to do so.

Failing that, navigate to the camera's IP address via a web browser and login. Under Configuration >> Video/Audio you should also be able to increase the bitrate.

For a 4MP camera overlooking a garden, a bitrate of 4Mbps+ should be satisfactory.

Looks like your bitrate settings are too low. It has been a while since I used QNAP, but you should be able to either go to the Camera Configuration window on the left of your screenshot to increase the camera's bitrate, or right click on the entry in that list to do so.

Failing that, navigate to the camera's IP address via a web browser and login. Under Configuration >> Video/Audio you should also be able to increase the bitrate.

For a 4MP camera overlooking a garden, a bitrate of 4Mbps+ should be satisfactory.

Thanks for above.
Yesterday I put it up to 6144 kpbs.
This morning it was down again to 512 kpbs!!!

It looks like this gets reset. by iPad apps such as either iVMS-4500HD and or Vmobile both of which Im currently playing with/assessing.
I'm also a little sceptical about the QNAP Surveillance Station and QVR on the PC.
NOW Ive upped the bitrate the max 16384 and both my cams crystal clear on the Hik GUI

Thoughts?

Last edited:
iVMS 4500 won't reset the bitrate.

It's almost certainly a setting on your QNAP that is pushing the settings to the camera. Root around, likely under Camera Configuration or any area that lets you adjust camera settings on your QNAP. Make all changes on the QNAP first - these will then be pushed on to the camera.

Otherwise, you could try disabling Vmobile for a brief test too.

No, I'm afraid not. The way QNAP / Synology / VMSes work (typically) when it comes to camera configuration settings is that they send commands to the camera to change their settings to whatever you enter within QNAP etc.

This is then periodically checked by the software, so even if you change it back on the camera, the software will then update the camera once again next time it is checked.

That's why you need to change it on the software, rather than on the camera.

Ive tried to replicate the bit rate shift but to no avail.....

I have no logs in the Hik GUI sadly. So I cant see if 'the switch' is being noted?

How does one set up logs?

Looks like there is a 'bug' - IF you hit 'Monitor' from within 'Surveillance Station' on a PC Win 10 and 'QVR' is present on the PC.
Surveillance Station makes a call to QVR and bingo the bit rate drops on the camera and looks horrible!

Back