01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can We Boost CCTV Signal in 140m Cat5?

leachim

I have a Hikvision CCTV box which can take up to 9 cameras

1 is a Dome IP Camera which we use through a Cat5 cable - trouble is, it is around 140m long....

It used to work fairly ok, allowing for a little stuttering sometimes, but now it has got worse.

I have a separate POE switch box which sends power and signal to the Dome Camera at the Hikvision end...... (we have also powered the IP Dome camera with a separate PS from the camera end with no difference)

I guess it is the LENGTH of cable that is the issue

Is there any Booster that could be put half way along the cable, or similar.

POE Ethernet Repeater ???

We have tested the cable for breaks and signal continuity

Thanks

Hi @leachim

If the dome camera you have is an IP network camera then the longest cable run it can be connected to is 100m (that is the furthest an IP network signal can travel before dropping off).

If you need to run a cable longer than 100m, you will need to install a PoE Extender at around the 90-95m mark and then run another cable from that Extender to the camera at 140m.

PoE repeaters are the same thing but with a different name. Still, you need to check the specs because cheaper Extenders/Repeaters can have limitations like requiring a separate PSU for the Repeater/Extender or massively reducing the PoE power they can send.

For example, the Repeater you've linked above says it can support outputting up to 25W but isn't specific if this is 25W at 200m. If you look at the details section for the Veracity Extender we linked you to, you'll see a table showing how the PoE signal drops the further you travel from the source.

Back