01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can you connect an IP camera with a BNC connector to a NVR?

Warren

I have currently upgraded from analog to digital.
I've now got a NVR model DS-7608NI-K2/8/P.
I would like to be able to use some of my old IP cameras with my new NVR, the problem is they all have BNC connectors.
Can I connect them to the NVR using a balun?

No, if your cameras have BNC connectors they are analogue CCTV cameras, not IP.

Hi @Warren

Baluns only allow you to send an analog signal over network cable but they don't convert the signal so at the other end you would need another balun to switch it back to COAX/BNC.

The only way to connect an analog camera to an IP NVR would be to use a Network Encoder which encodes the BNC analog signal into an IP signal, but these devices can be quite expensive and will limit the resolution that reaches the NVR (often less than 1080p/720p). we would recommend that it is more cost-effective to upgrade to new, higher-resolution IP cameras.

My Hikvision cameras are model: DS-2CE16DOT-IT3F, DS-2CE16DOT-IPF & DS-2CE16DOT-IF.
Aren't these 2MP IP cameras?

No, these are all Hikvision TurboHD Analog cameras.

IP cameras do not use BNC/COAX, they only use RJ45 network connectors.

No, these are all Hikvision TurboHD Analog cameras.

IP cameras do not use BNC/COAX, they only use RJ45 network connectors.
Okay thanks

Are there IP Cameras 4mp or higher that don't have EXIR or ColourVu?
Datetime these cameras are great & they light up a dark area up nicely at night.
The problem is that their night vision is missing colours in the light spectrum, which means you don't get the true colour at night. e.g a blue car will show up as a green car on your camera which can have undesirable consequences.

Hikvision has nice 4mp wifi cameras I've got some footage from them,
their night vision goes to black & white at night which is great, but for security reasons you don't want these cameras in a public area.

Hi @Warren

We would recommend a 4MP ColorVu Camera, the white light the camera uses to improve the nighttime performance can be disabled and the larger sensor/wider aperture alone gives you very good night colour images.

If you search "ColorVu" on the forum you will find some screenshot examples of very impressive low-light colour images like this one.

Hi @Warren

We would recommend a 4MP ColorVu Camera, the white light the camera uses to improve the nighttime performance can be disabled and the larger sensor/wider aperture alone gives you very good night colour images.

If you search "ColorVu" on the forum you will find some screenshot examples of very impressive low-light colour images like this one.
Will you get true colours if you disable the sensor?
If you don't get the correct colours, you can still use the footage in an investigation, but you can't use the footage in the South African courts as it will be rejected as evidence by the courts.

Hi @Warren

Look at the examples I've linked you to in my last reply, I think the colours look pretty good without the white light on but clearly your requirements are very specific and you would probably be best off purchasing one ColorVu to try and see if you are happy with the colour images you get.

this camera contains BNC Port and POE Port, so is this allow to connect to NVR or DVR too??
I am curious how to connect this to DVR.... is it direct connect the POE to power adaptor and the BNC to DVR???

thanks.

Attachments

• 347d97c4-4d57-4c26-b476-7a4b4ec56847.jpeg
    347d97c4-4d57-4c26-b476-7a4b4ec56847.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 70
this camera contains BNC Port and POE Port, so is this allow to connect to NVR or DVR too??
I am curious how to connect this to DVR.... is it direct connect the POE to power adaptor and the BNC to DVR???

thanks.
It's an IP camera so you would use the network connection direct to the PoE port of an NVR. The BNC is just a convenience allowing you to connect a service monitor while at the camera to aid in positioning. It's not much use for anything else as it will be a low resolution image.

It's an IP camera so you would use the network connection direct to the PoE port of an NVR. The BNC is just a convenience allowing you to connect a service monitor while at the camera to aid in positioning. It's not much use for anything else as it will be a low resolution image.

so how it plug in to DVR as my DVR showing can have 8 Analog and 2 IP cameras........
i trying to access this camera by connect to POE adaptor and from POE adaptor to my laptop..... but it not showing on the SADP...... sad..... T.T

Hi @Newbie here

What DVR model do you have?

You won't be able to add the camera to your DVR by connecting it to your laptop.

You need to connect the PoE adaptor to your router (or a switch connected to your router) and also make sure the DVRs LAN port is also connected to the same network/router as the camera.

Once you've done that, you should be able to see the IP camera as an 'online device' in the DVR camera menu and you should then be able to add it manually to one of the unused channels on the DVR.

Hi @Newbie here

What DVR model do you have?

You won't be able to add the camera to your DVR by connecting it to your laptop.

You need to connect the PoE adaptor to your router (or a switch connected to your router) and also make sure the DVRs LAN port is also connected to the same network/router as the camera.

Once you've done that, you should be able to see the IP camera as an 'online device' in the DVR camera menu and you should then be able to add it manually to one of the unused channels on the DVR.

Thanks for the reply.

My DVR is DS-7208HQHI-K1 with 8 channels.

Actually I am trying to access the camera with my laptop for the setting where I read online.....

I also tried to connect] like what you said, Camera POE connected to POE adaptor (POE port), and the other port (LAN port) connected to Router... but not showing.....
DVR and Router are running properly, I don't know how to test it whether POE adaptor or camera not working.....

Attachments

• OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 62334d07-ce50-4dc5-9368-e8f8725450f2.jpeg
    62334d07-ce50-4dc5-9368-e8f8725450f2.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 48
  • 3949127a-1276-4600-acb0-72a2f47539ad.jpeg
    3949127a-1276-4600-acb0-72a2f47539ad.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 58
Thanks @Newbie here

When you plug the camera into that PoE adaptor, do you see any sign of activity from the IP camera? Do the IR LEDs around the camera lens light up for a few seconds?

Thanks @Newbie here

When you plug the camera into that PoE adaptor, do you see any sign of activity from the IP camera? Do the IR LEDs around the camera lens light up for a few seconds?

that the weird thing...... it seen not responding after I connected and tried with 4 cameras....
after that, i sent to my friend who working as technician in outstation and said all working and only didn't test it with DVR or NVR......

Or I need to try the reset button????

Okay,

You'll need to get your hands on another PoE Injector (preferably not the same model you already have) and test the camera on that.

If the camera doesn't work on the other PoE Injector that would suggest there is a fault with the cameras, if the camera does work on a different PoE Injector then that would suggest that the issue lies with your PoE adaptor.

Okay,

You'll need to get your hands on another PoE Injector (preferably not the same model you already have) and test the camera on that.

If the camera doesn't work on the other PoE Injector that would suggest there is a fault with the cameras, if the camera does work on a different PoE Injector then that would suggest that the issue lies with your PoE adaptor.

Ermm...... I think that the only way.... So if all working, SADP should detect the camera if camera connected to POE adaptor and connect to laptop???

Besides that, do you have any online information regarding this kind of camera (combination of BNC Port and POE Port without Power Port)??? I search online and showed the combination for all the IP Cameras also POE Port and Power Port, no one with BNC Port.....

Technically yes, but as explained earlier we would recommend you connect the camera to the PoE Adaptor/Injector and then connect that PoE Adaptor/Injector to a switch or directly to your local router.

Connecting directly to a laptop can sometimes require some complex manual configuration of the laptop's network setting, removing the laptop from the situation will make it easier to diagnose if there is an issue with the camera and/or the PoE Adaptor.

Technically yes, but as explained earlier we would recommend you connect the camera to the PoE Adaptor/Injector and then connect that PoE Adaptor/Injector to a switch or directly to your local router.

Connecting directly to a laptop can sometimes require some complex manual configuration of the laptop's network setting, removing the laptop from the situation will make it easier to diagnose if there is an issue with the camera and/or the PoE Adaptor.

ermm, network setting....
OK, everything has to try first with new adaptor to make sure that camera still working........

Thank you very much....

Back