01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Can't connect to Hikvision DVR on the same network with public IP setup

Jeremy

Hi all,

I am able to connect to the Hikvision NVR outside of my network with the public IP setup.
When I am connected to the wifi (same network as the NVR). I can't connect to the NVR.
Anyone know why ?

Hi all,

I am able to connect to the Hikvision NVR outside of my network with the public IP setup.
When I am connected to the wifi (same network as the NVR). I can't connect to the NVR.
Anyone know why ?
Outside of your network - you will be able to connect using the public IP if port forwarding is set up.

Inside of your network (on the same LAN) - you will be able to connect using the NVRs LAN IP (192.168.xxx.xxx usually). If you're using WiFi, you must not be connected to WiFi that is a guest network as that will only allow access to the internet and not device to device communication.

If you're trying to connect to your NVR from the same network using the public IP, this is a different matter. Some routers allow loopback and some do not (and it's not a feature you'll see in the router specs). If loopback is not supported, you will be blocked from connecting to a device using its public facing IP address, if the connection is initiated from a device on the same network.

To summarise - make sure you're not on your "guest" WiFi network (if setup) and use the local address of the NVR to connect (not the routers public address)

Back