01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

CCTV solution

rob_ravilious

I wondered if some one can helped as we have hit a brick wall - We are after a cost effective CCTV system of around 10 cameras, that are battery powered (1 or 2 year battery life) and are on a movement sensor that reports back wirelessly to our phones, which we can then remotely trigger an alarm (there is no power to the site).

We are looking to own it as we have this system installed on a site but rent it (See attached an image of the current rented system.) and we are finding it hard to find a system that matches these requirements. We are happy for someone to design and source this and set it up.

Many thanks

Rob

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 13.07.50.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 13.07.50.png
    2 MB · Views: 30
I wondered if some one can helped as we have hit a brick wall - We are after a cost effective CCTV system of around 10 cameras, that are battery powered (1 or 2 year battery life) and are on a movement sensor that reports back wirelessly to our phones, which we can then remotely trigger an alarm (there is no power to the site).

We are looking to own it as we have this system installed on a site but rent it (See attached an image of the current rented system.) and we are finding it hard to find a system that matches these requirements. We are happy for someone to design and source this and set it up.

Many thanks

Rob
Hi Rob,
I can offer some advice on what to consider....

Any remote off grid solution needs a well designed power supply and battery system. Followed by robust connectivity to the internet.

For the battery charge controller
Use a combination of wind and solar charging also have a direct charging input to top up the batteries from a generator.
Battery low voltage isolation that disconnects the load to protect the batteries from excess discharge.
Remote alarm notification of a battery low voltage condition before the low voltage cutoff activates. This will allow you to travel to site and charge the batteries.

Internet connectivity.
How will you connect to the internet? 4G / wifi?

David

Hi Rob,
I can offer some advice on what to consider....

Any remote off grid solution needs a well designed power supply and battery system. Followed by robust connectivity to the internet.

For the battery charge controller
Use a combination of wind and solar charging also have a direct charging input to top up the batteries from a generator.
Battery low voltage isolation that disconnects the load to protect the batteries from excess discharge.
Remote alarm notification of a battery low voltage condition before the low voltage cutoff activates. This will allow you to travel to site and charge the batteries.

Internet connectivity.
How will you connect to the internet? 4G / wifi?

David

Thank you David, as these sites often do not have power the plan would be to connect via 4G, I presume this is a little harder to achieve but not impossible?

Thank you David, as these sites often do not have power the plan would be to connect via 4G, I presume this is a little harder to achieve but not impossible?
Rob,
4G should be possible, don't use a one size fits all approach.

Routers will need a SIM card with public IP address and VPN connectivity for remote access.

Each site will be receiving different 4G signal quality levels, I'd try to use external omni directional 4G antennas. if signal levels are good a dual 4G antenna should be ok, other sites may need tri or quad antennas. You can get the internal equivalent for these antennas. The 4G router will need to support dual / tri / quad antennas.

Avoid using inverters (Vdc to 230Vac converters), they are not very efficient. Try to source equipment that uses the same dc voltage. 12Vdc is ok at low power levels and short cable runs. Most cameras / 4G routers are 12Vdc, maybe 1 amp for each camera and 2 amps for the router. Charge controllers vary and need to be accounted for.

for 1 site
10 cameras x 1 amp = 10A
1 x 4G router x 2amp = 2A
1 x charge controller maybe 2 amps, check.

total of 14A at 12Vdc power 168W. maybe a 300W solar / wind charging system?

Take a look at mobile home / caravan solutions, they could be easily adapted.

The above may seem excessive and could be cheaper, it all depends how critical remote service availablity is.

I've used Home 4G/5G installations, Networking, Building to Building WiFi, Fibre - solwise.co.uk | Solwise Ltd they are very helpful.

David

Rob,
4G should be possible, don't use a one size fits all approach.

Routers will need a SIM card with public IP address and VPN connectivity for remote access.

Each site will be receiving different 4G signal quality levels, I'd try to use external omni directional 4G antennas. if signal levels are good a dual 4G antenna should be ok, other sites may need tri or quad antennas. You can get the internal equivalent for these antennas. The 4G router will need to support dual / tri / quad antennas.

Avoid using inverters (Vdc to 230Vac converters), they are not very efficient. Try to source equipment that uses the same dc voltage. 12Vdc is ok at low power levels and short cable runs. Most cameras / 4G routers are 12Vdc, maybe 1 amp for each camera and 2 amps for the router. Charge controllers vary and need to be accounted for.

for 1 site
10 cameras x 1 amp = 10A
1 x 4G router x 2amp = 2A
1 x charge controller maybe 2 amps, check.

total of 14A at 12Vdc power 168W. maybe a 300W solar / wind charging system?

Take a look at mobile home / caravan solutions, they could be easily adapted.

The above may seem excessive and could be cheaper, it all depends how critical remote service availablity is.

I've used Home 4G/5G installations, Networking, Building to Building WiFi, Fibre - solwise.co.uk | Solwise Ltd they are very helpful.

David
Hi David, is this something you can help pull together for us?

Back