01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Change IP Cameras to direct NVR connection?

rosswill

Following some changes at home I'm looking to move the IP cameras I have from a switch where they are currently connected over the network to my NVR to be directly connected to the rear of the NVR. I thought it may be as simple as plugging into the POE ports but there is clearly more to it than that! Where do I start? To clarify I have a fully working system and can see the camera when I log in to the NVR over the network, but cant figure out how to move this to direct connection onto the NVR. Thank you.

Hi @rosswill

To move the cameras to the NVR ports without hard resetting them you will need to manually change the IP details of each camera to match the subnet range of the NVR, follow the below steps:

1) With the cameras connected to the switch either open SADP Tool or log in to each camera​
2) Change the IP address of each camera to an available address on the NVRs subnet range, which is 192.168.254.xxx - so for example, if you had 3 cameras you could set them to 192.168.254.2 / 192.168.254.3 / 192.168.254.4​
3) You also need to change the gateway address of each camera to the NVR subnet gateway, which is 192.168.254.1​
4) Once you've done the above, log in to the NVR and go to the camera management page​
5) select channel D1 for port 1 on the NVR, click on that channel and manually change the IP address to match one of the subnet IP addresses you set on one of the cameras.​
6) Once you have saved the above, plug the matching camera into the correct port on the NVR and shortly the camera management page should show the camera as connected (you may need to refresh the page)​

It is probably best to do this process one camera at a time so you don't get cameras, IP addresses, and ports mixed up.

I did this yesterday to a few cameras on one of my NVRs and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was as simple as:

1) Unplug from PoE switch and plug into NVR.
2) In the NVR camera network config page change the camera setting from I think something like "IP Camera" to "Plug and Play".

That's it. It took a few minutes for each camera to come back online but when they did there were no other changes required.

You will need enable the "Virtual Host" checkbox on the NVR to be able to connect directly to the camera web interface (if required) on the incremental ports starting at 65001 and up - e.g. https://NVR_IP_ADDRESS_HERE:65001

Back