01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Check my settings please

lenovo

Can i get some advice on my settings please. my head is hurting seeing very similar menus in the NVR GUI as well as logging into the cameras directly via the browser.

Am i correct that the menus onboard the camera determine the parameters used by a NAS or SD card, while the menus onboard the NVR determine the parameters used by the NVR and therefore the 8 TB Hard drives. Ive a hard time distinguishing the different menus, that are so similar in both the camera and the NVR !!

So if i want to setup my 4 x Cameras to record motion only, on all 4, do i carry this out in the NVR or in each camera?
and if the answer is do it in the NVR GUI, then why or when would i need to configure similar settings in the cameras themselves?

Lastly, im confused about continuous and motion and event.
Is motion not an event? if it is, and i choose either , will i not get the same footage?
and why or how does continuous AND motion work? should i both set?

Ideally, i would like to set up my cameras to record MOTION only ( 24/ 7 ) across all 4 cameras so i can easily find these when i search.
OR
could i have continuous WITH motion events marked so as to easily find via search?
Continuous seems wasteful when theres nothing of interest to see...although ive loads of hard drive space so im open to this option if you think its good.

appreciate your time, and sorry ive so many questions but im old and getting my aged brain around this tech is challenging for me, yet satisfying and enjoyable in equal measure !
thanks

2363 IN CAMERA settings
2363 in Camera.png

2363 IN NVR settings
2363 in NVR.png

2385 IN CAMERA settings
2385 in Camera.png

2385 IN NVR Settings
2385 In NVR.png

Specs: NVR DS- 7608NI-I2/8P | DS - 2CD2363G0 - I (x2) 4mm fixed | DS - 2CD2385G1 - I ( x2 ) 4mm Fixed

Hi @lenovo

The confusion is understandable and these questions do come up a lot, but in actual fact, you've basically answered most your own questions. You are correct about recording settings, the settings in the camera are only for local MicroSD and NAS recording while the NVR record settings are for recording to the NVR.

If you want to only record motion then you are also correct that you set the NVR record schedule to only motion detection and you enable and adjust the motion detection settings in the event menu for each camera.

Motion is listed as one of the event options on the product spec sheets but Hikvision does separate Motion detection from other event types in the recording schedule because Motion is often the main (and only) basic event that you can record by, while Event refers to all the different Smart Event options you have to record by. (e.g. Line crossing, face detection, region entrance/exit, etc...)

If you want to record 24/7 you set continuous and if you only want to record when motion is detected then you set the schedule to motion, if you have a specific smart event enabled that you want to record by then you set the schedule to Event.

Setting the NVR to only record by motion is perfectly fine, but for security we do often recommend that if you have the storage space you should record continuously because motion detection and smart events are good but they are not 100% accurate and continuous gives you the backup if something does happen and the motion or event is not triggered you still have the recording.

You can if you wish set the NVR to record continuously and just receive notifications of event triggers, these notification settings can be set up when you enable any specific event under the "linkage method" tab for each event. You can have notifications pushed to the Hik-connect app, email notification sent to an email address of your choosing, or if you just enable the event but set no linkage method you will be able to search by that specific event in the NVRs playback menu using Custom Search, some more information on custom search can be found here - What is the Difference Between Normal, Smart, and Custom(Event) Playback when using a Monitor on a Hikvision NVR?

Thanks Dan great reply and has clarified things for me.
Did you get a chance to check my camera settings ? I want to ensure I’m getting the best out of them and I’m not sure how high to set bitrate as well as the other parameters. If you can advise I’d appreciate it
Many thanks

Thanks Dan great reply and has clarified things for me.
Did you get a chance to check my camera settings ? I want to ensure I’m getting the best out of them and I’m not sure how high to set bitrate as well as the other parameters. If you can advise I’d appreciate it
Many thanks

Most of those settings look fine, the only thing we would recommend is setting the frame rate to 15fps for both cameras as this gives you smooth images (very little gained by going to 20/25fps unless you are recording very fast movement like cars) and makes the best use of your storage/bandwidth. In regards to bit rate we usually just recommend leaving it at variable for most systems, variable bit rate allows the bit rate of the camera to increase & decrease based on the complexity of the scene and how much bandwidth it needs to use and using variable keeps the video quality fixed while the bit rate adjusts, constant bit rate does the reverse and so video quality can be reduced if you set the bit rate too low. Simply put for a small system using variable bit rate will get you the best performance from your cameras.

The final thing to mention is compression, I can see you are using H.265 on both cameras, you can increase the compression of both cameras to H.265+ compression which reduces storage and bandwidth usage by around 60% over H.265. The only downside to H.265+ is that it is a unique compression CODEC to Hikvision and thus the downloaded compressed footage does not always playback very well on standard media players and you may need to use Hikvision's own VSPlayer to view any downloaded footage. If you have the storage capacity you may be better off leaving the cameras recording using H.265 because this is a more universally accepted CODEC and most media players like VLC will support H.265.

Thanks Dan

another query for you...
In playback on GUI 4.0, i have 2 x timelines containing blue ( continuous ) and red ( event )
i had thought these represented the 2 camers i had connected at the time of initial setup, so much so that when i added 2 more cameras , i expected the timelines to increase to 4 ? ie one timeline per camera.
However this is not the case. I have 4 cameras connected , set up for 24 /7 continuous with Motion, and Smart event of line crossing and intrusion detection, yet i still only have 2 x timelines, as i call them.
What am i missing?

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 21.13.24.png

another query for you...
In playback on GUI 4.0, i have 2 x timelines containing blue ( continuous ) and red ( event )
i had thought these represented the 2 camers i had connected at the time of initial setup, so much so that when i added 2 more cameras , i expected the timelines to increase to 4 ? ie one timeline per camera.
However this is not the case. I have 4 cameras connected , set up for 24 /7 continuous with Motion, and Smart event of line crossing and intrusion detection, yet i still only have 2 x timelines, as i call them.
What am i missing?

Hi @lenovo

The bars don't actually represent 2 cameras, when you have 1 camera showing in playback the information will be duplicated on both bars, if you select a second camera then the top bar will show you event information of the camera you currently have selected (highlighted with a blue box around the playback window) the bottom bar will show you a combined view with the event notifications of both selected cameras showing in the same timeline, so the more cameras you add to playback with events enabled the busier that bottom bar will get but the top bar will always show you the event notifications for the camera you have selected.

Last edited:
Back