01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Completely wireless HIKVISION installation

heinburgh

Hello forum,

I'm intending to install a 24 camera strong system on our farm. I recently installed 8 x Ubiquity unifi AC mesh units, so we now have fairly good coverage all over the area.

Now we need to install a camera & DVR system, we need a total of 24 cameras. I have been looking at this model: DS-2CD2041G1-IDW1 (4 MP IR Fixed Network Bullet Camera) and I'm wondering if its possible to have a large number of cameras all linked up to the DVR or DVR's through my mesh network. The mesh network consists of one wired unit and 7 wireless units.

Questions:

1) would my wifi network carry all these cameras?
2) what model DVR can handle this many channels, and would such a DVR just connect to the wired side of my network?
3) DVR also needs to give us access to all cameras remotely.

Thanks in advance.

Some quick thoughts:
1) would my wifi network carry all these cameras?
The cameras you mentioned are capable of 11b, 802.11g, 802.11n connections. They can't leverage your mesh's AC. 24 camera's might be pushing the limits of 802.11n at full res/frame rate.

2) what model DVR can handle this many channels, and would such a DVR just connect to the wired side of my network?
Look into the DS-7732NI-I NVR series, that should be sufficient for that many cameras. IMO, a DVR would not be suited for this.
The NVR should be plugged into your router/switch. On the wired side, what model of device do you have?

3) DVR also needs to give us access to all cameras remotely.
The above mentioned are capable of remote viewing provided you have a decent internet connection (upload bandwidth).

Model of the Ubiquiti UniFi mesh devices?

Thanks for taking the time @StewartM -

1) Do you know if they have a camera model that would leverage AC?

2) I'll look into the NVR. The mesh network consists of 8 x UAP-AC-M's, the first one of the lot is connected to the VSAT router in the office. The DVR / NVR is in the same room so we could wire straight into the VSAT router

3) We do have a fairly good connection.

I am not aware of any Hikvision cameras capable of 802.11ac. I had a cursory look through their online offerings and could not find one. I've heard Reolink RLC-410 & RLC-410W are dual-band and AC enabled. I have no experience with their products.

We use Ubiquiti equipment regularly for client installs but I've not worked with their mesh offerings.
As you are probably well aware, wireless setups come with their own set of headaches. Are you able to run a site survey/discovery from the mesh nodes? You mentioned you were on a farm so interference/saturation may not be an issue.

Possible considerations:
  • Certain Ubiquiti products might limit the channel and channel width for the camera(s) connections
  • Cameras with weaker connections may place additional load on the AP (time slicing?)
  • WISPs installing in your area may cause disruptions, they do for us
  • Latency on the VSAT? For remote monitoring that might be a concern.
  • SD cards installed in the cameras - Hikvision has NVR's that are able to sync with the cameras to fill in missing footage if the connection is lost
  • Software solution instead of a hardware NVR? There are products like Blue Iris that offer PC based recorders with similar functionality
Again, just thinking out-loud.

Back