01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Configure eight DS-2CD2345FWD-I cameras into a DS-7608NI-K2 NVR?

Gareth_33

Hi all

I am setting up a system for our restaurant/bar. 8 x DS-2CD2345FWD cameras going to a DS-7608NI-K2 NVR.

The first 4 cameras are on the first floor and go straight in to the NVR, they all show up no problem.

The remaining 4 cameras are in the basement, and all go to a DS-3E0106HP-E 4 way switch. The switch connecting back to the NVR.

The 4 basement cameras all work individually, but only one at a time to the NVR. From what I understand I need to assign IP addresses to the remaining 3 that don't show up on my NVR.

I run a Mac with OS 10.15.7, I have a USB C to Ethernet adapter, the camera doesn't show up on any network pings, nor in the SADP tool. The NVR does show up as online.

Can someone please advise how to assign the remaining cameras that will operate via the network switch please?

Many thanks in advance, I've tried searching, but apologies if this topic has already been covered.

Gareth

@Gareth_33
Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 08.33.40.png

Your diagram shows the PoE switch connecting to the router but your description says the PoE switch connects directly to the NVR -
The remaining 4 cameras are in the basement, and all go to a DS-3E0106HP-E 4 way switch. The switch connecting back to the NVR

I would disagree with @David on how to set this up. The better way to connect this up is to connect a cable from one of the PoE ports on the NVR to the uplink port of the switch in the basement rather than connecting the basement switch and cameras via the router. By connecting the PoE switch to an NVR PoE port you keep all of the camera traffic segregated on the 192.168.254.xxx network and only the NVR itself is exposed to the internet. It's also easier to set up. Example:

• Cameras 1 - 4 connected directly to the NVR. They will obtain a 192.168.254.xxx address from the NVR via plug and play (most likely .2, .3, & .4)
  • Cameras 5 - 8. Manually connect to each camera and access the web interface. Activate it with the same admin password as your NVR then set the IP address (don't touch the gateway or anything else) to 192.168.254.105 for cam 5 192.168.254.106 for cam 6 and so on. This ensures that the manually assigned address will never conflict with a plug and play assigned address.
  • BEFORE connecting cameras 5 - 8 to the NVR. Access the NVR camera settings page. For cameras 5 - 8 click the edit icon. Change Plug and Play to manual, type in the IP address (192.168.254.105 for cam 5 etc) and enter the admin password (or you can tick the box to use channel default password so long as you kept them the same. Do this for cameras 5 through 8 that are connected to the switch.
  • Connect the cable from the uplink port of the switch to the PoE connection for Cam 5.
  • Kick back and have a beer

Your diagram shows the PoE switch connecting to the router but your description says the PoE switch connects directly to the NVR -

I would disagree with @David on how to set this up. The better way to connect this up is to connect a cable from one of the PoE ports on the NVR to the uplink port of the switch in the basement rather than connecting the basement switch and cameras via the router. By connecting the PoE switch to an NVR PoE port you keep all of the camera traffic segregated on the 192.168.254.xxx network and only the NVR itself is exposed to the internet. It's also easier to set up. Example:

• Cameras 1 - 4 connected directly to the NVR. They will obtain a 192.168.254.xxx address from the NVR via plug and play (most likely .2, .3, & .4)
  • Cameras 5 - 8. Manually connect to each camera and access the web interface. Activate it with the same admin password as your NVR then set the IP address (don't touch the gateway or anything else) to 192.168.254.105 for cam 5 192.168.254.106 for cam 6 and so on. This ensures that the manually assigned address will never conflict with a plug and play assigned address.
  • BEFORE connecting cameras 5 - 8 to the NVR. Access the NVR camera settings page. For cameras 5 - 8 click the edit icon. Change Plug and Play to manual, type in the IP address (192.168.254.105 for cam 5 etc) and enter the admin password (or you can tick the box to use channel default password so long as you kept them the same. Do this for cameras 5 through 8 that are connected to the switch.
  • Connect the cable from the uplink port of the switch to the PoE connection for Cam 5.
  • Kick back and have a beer
makes sense and more secure.

Thanks for the super helpful replies.

I went with David's suggestion this morning, I managed to activate and assign each camera an IP address in the NVR software, all 8 cameras working with the switch connected to Router.

Upon reading JB1970's reply, I tried plugging the switch directly to an NVR PoE port and all four basement cameras have gone down with the message "EXCEPTION"

They don't show up on the SADP tool either.

Many thanks

Gareth

I went with David's suggestion this morning, I managed to activate and assign each camera an IP address in the NVR software, all 8 cameras working with the switch connected to Router.

Upon reading JB1970's reply, I tried plugging the switch directly to an NVR PoE port and all four basement cameras have gone down with the message "EXCEPTION"

Many thanks

Gareth
@Gareth_33 Gareth,
@JB1970 solution is better but needs a bit more setting up, I would've done something similar but don't have the setup to implement. I am planning to move my cameras onto a separate vlan, just need to do it :).

Many thanks

Gareth
Ahh Ok - I didn't realise you'd already got this set up and working. It does need to be completed in the order I described. As you'd already setup LAN subnet IP addresses they'd need to be changed:
  1. assign camera IP in camera
  2. edit NVR camera details
  3. connect cameras.

Yeah - it's a convenient way to expand at later date as well if home running a cable to a new camera location is difficult. It's easy and relatively cheap to install a PoE switch at/near an existing camera using its cable, then use the switch to supply the existing and any new cameras in the vicinity.

Back