01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Content synchronization between NVRs

thenewguy

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first question. I have an on-site I series NVR connected to a few hikvision cameras. Due to limited connection bandwidth on the place, connection of multiple concurrent users to the NVR is not possible. My idea was to add another NVR off-site which would synchronize to the on-site NVR and all users would connect to that one instead. One could think that the local NVR is not needed in this case, but my reasoning is that a LAN connection is more reliable than an internet connection and lost packets won't be an issue, hence the reason I want synchronization and not just feed recording. Unfortunately the cameras don't have local storage( I believe cameras with local storage have the ability to synchronize in this way with NVRs). Someone has mentioned in a post that you could add another NVR in the same way that you add cameras to an NVR. Do you think it's possible to do that, has anybody else had a similar situation? Will the NVRs synchronize their content or will it be just a feed passthrough?

As far as I'm aware, directly syncing two NVR's is not possible. The bandwidth limitation still remains an issue even if it were possible. The same applies to the cameras if they had local storage. Shunting the recordings off-site isn't viable on a limited connection.

How are the users connecting at present? iVMS-4200 on PC or mobile device app?

Some thoughts:
I'd suggest keeping the NVR on-site to record the camera streams. If the users need to view the live streams or playback, have their clients connect to the sub-stream set to the lowest frame rate acceptable. Users can still download playback footage to their local devices at full resolution, even if it is slow, and it won't affect the recordings on-site.

Connecting via UDP may help too. UDP is a connectionless protocol and may better suit your environment. TCP has to do more legwork on the link addressing those lost packets.

I haven't tried it, but it may be possible to have a off-site/local PC with iVMS-4200 recording server running that records the cameras via the Cloud P2P with low frame rate, bitrate and resolution. Users could review the footage locally by connecting to the iVMS server and if needed, download the footage from the on-site NVR via a separate connection.

These are just some suggestions, keep us posted.

*Edit, I may have muddled up on/off sites, hope you get the gist.

Users now connect through a mobile app, but the bandwidth only allows one user at a time. The way i think this would work is because the off-site NVR would be on a much better connection. The bandwidth is enough for one user so the off-site NVR should have enough bandwidth to synchronize. Didn't clarify that but, by "on-site" I refer to the NVR that is connected to the cameras through LAN, so no bottlenecks there. The off-site NVR would be connected through the internet, hence the connection bandwidth limit problem. I might end up adding an off-site NVR just to see how many "connection lost" alerts i get.

See the below 'Hikvision Explains' video (from 4mins in).

Hikvision call it BackUp.

But I don't think you are going to succeed in setting this up between sites with a weak uplink.

Back