01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Dahua vs Hikvision for New School Installation

Gosnoid

Hi, we're currently tendering for a new 100 camera system for our school and one on the contractors has proposed a Dahua system. All of the others have gone Hikvision, which is also where my experience lies. I've never heard of Dahua, can anyone give me a guide as to quality and support?

They are pretty much neck & neck.
Hikvision is number one in the world.
Dahua is number two.
Hikvision is more popular / gained more market share in the UK.
We dabbled with Dahua e.g. tested some of their kit (at one point in time, maybe four years ago) and decided that Hikvision was better.

Others may drop by with other opinions :)

Thanks for the info. One thing I'm particularly keen on is using a desktop PC or tablet to be able to access the cameras. I've used Hikvison's iVMS in the past but found it very clunky.

Yes, that is typical feedback on Hikvision's iVMS software.

I wrote this summary on school CCTV solutions in 2018.
It's held-up pretty well.
We seem to have the conversation with a school with a fairly high camera count every couple of months.

In Breaking News, we can now offer the Nx Witness VMS solution CCTV software from Network Optix.
It is probably THE most modern CCTV software solution.
It offers the significant benefit (especially appreciated by schools) of no future costs for licence renewals etc.
This is as per the Vivotek VAST model, but different to other VMS / CCTV software that we offer such as Milestone and Luxriot which require licence renewal fees (which can be significant £000s every few years on large school systems).

Those licence fees for the corporate-style CCTV software solutions above of course make a manufacturer's free software seem very attractive, but it is very common for system owners to complain that they find the manufacturer's own software hard to live with :(

As an indication, VAST comes in at about £40 +VAT per camera channel, Nx Witness is about £65 +VAT per camera channel.

Thanks for the updates Phil, I'll wait and see what the contractors come back with in their tenders.

Back