01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Distorted and fuzzy images

ukxgerard

Hello,

I have recently installed CCTV camera set on my premises and I am having almost daily problems with picture quality.

Some cameras are displaying fuzz/distortion/wavy horizontal lines
Some cameras are displaying flickering image in B&W along with a thick black vertical stripe/line almost always on the right hand side of the image.
I have searched a few forums and from what little I could gather this could either be a ground loop problem or a power supply issue.
Please excuse my ignorance as I am a total novice here.
I have taken the liberty of attaching a short video which shows the problem amongst the 4 cameras.
CAMERA 3 & 7 -- heavy flicker/distortion along with right hand vertical black bar

flicker and distortion.mp4

CAMERA 5 & 9 -- fuzz/wavy lines

wavy lines.mp4

The box is a ALHUA (ZHEJIANG DAHUA VISION) COSMIC HD DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER WITHOUT HARD DISK
MODEL: DH-XVR4116HS
The cameras are: HIK VISION COLOUR CAMERA
MODEL: DS-2CE1AD0T-IPRR
Appreciate any feedback as this is really driving me crazy.

Thank you Gerard

Hi Gerard,

We only work with IP cameras, so probably aren't your best source of help.

I would say you certainly have some issues derived from cabling there.
You can always prove that by fetching the camera(s) back adjacent to the DVR and connecting with a short bought patch lead. If all is well, then you know that your camera and DVR are fine, and it is the installation / cabling you need to improve.
Ground loops and hum can be resolved by buying and fitting a device e.g. HumBug, There are may alternatives offered.
Poor co-ax crimping / termination can also cause problems, as can cheap cable.

Finally, make sure that your cameras are set appropriately for your DVR, there are lots of analogue options nowadays e.g. AHD, TVI, CVI, etc.

Back