01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-2CD2132F-I recording to NAS random persistent failure

GSB1

I have three DS-2CD2132F-I all on firmware 5.3.0 build 150814. These all record (events only, not continuous) to separate SMB shares on a NAS with quotas set. The shares are 800GB and 2 x 515GB, recording is set to overwrite.
All is well until for some reason the recordings on one or more cameras fail. The symptoms are that when I use any interface for playback, I see the recordings listed and the markers for the events, but playback fails. If I test the connectivity to the NAS, I get a write permission failure. Without doing anything else, if I format the NAS "drive" via the camera I am back to working again (for fresh recordings).
If possibly related the last time this occurred the 800GB quota share was 560GB used and one of the 515GB quota shares was 276GB used. The other 515GB quota share 248GB used and still working. To date, I don't think I have seen any of the shares reach the point of overwriting before I have had to reformat.
This is not an issue I can live with as obviously no recordings is a critical failure and it happens without warning or alert.
Any ideas please?

When I did this I created three seperate users and set the quotas the same for each. Mine seem to work fine. Are you using one login name for all three cameras? What quota setting do you have? If its 1 user and about 1TB... Then there's your problem.
And what NAS are you using.. is that firmware upto date?
Mike

Last edited:
2TB NAS. 3 shares. Three accounts on the NAS, one for each cam with quotas set to 1x800GB quota and 2x515GB.

We've seen reports that the Hikvision cameras have limits to both the maximum and minimum allowed volume size allocated to them when connecting directly to a NAS using the camera's interface.

To my knowledge, the maximum volume size that works reliably is 200-250GB. Anything larger and the camera begins to experience difficulties correctly formatting the volume, if it manages to do so at all.

It might be worth reducing the quota allocated to each camera to 200GB for a testing period and see if they successfully record and overwrite, and then slowly increase the quote for each camera.

Thanks Kieran (and morph). My 6th sense was telling me it was quota size related, hence the info in my post. I will try what you suggest. As you say it would be interesting to see the cams fill a quoata and start overwriting.
If the quota really has to be as small as circa 200GB I also would have thought the issue better documented, but at least I have somewhere to start.

You'll find similar reports in other forums, it's quite a nuisance, and the rules seem to change across different firmware versions too...

Let us know how you get on, it's always useful! :)

I just checked my quotas. All at 100GB. On my cams (2CD2032) this gives me many weeks of events. Including all the false ones like spiders webs in the wind and rain :-)

Mike

I tried a 250GB quota and one week on and 133GB used the fault occurred. Recording up to early morning today were fine, then after a certain time no playback.
So I've reduced the quotas to 199GB and have reformatted the camera drives to see if that is any better.

One week on again and the same cam has now stopped recording. Same symptoms, I can play recordings from before the failure and I can see the indexed recordings in iVMS-4200, but there is no recording.
A week of recording then a failure is no good to me. In my desperation I will try a 150GB share. If that does me no good I need to consider what I spend money on next to recover from this situation.

7 days on again and it has stopped recording.
Is it worth going smaller on drive quotas? Down to 100GB maybe?
What storage do you recommend please?

I am not sure I have an audience with this thread, but I have now tested with a small 10GB NAS drive quota. As soon as the space got down to 3.75GB free (6.25GB consumed), I can see recording markings, but cannot play back past that point. At 4.5GB free all was OK.
So my quotas never fill up to begin to overwrite no matter what the size. This is not a workable storage option.
Help!

So I have been testing with the small 10GB quota drives. I set up multiple 10GB drives on the one cam. The first drive gets to around 60% full and recordings then fail. They do not play back and the files cannot be downloaded. The recording markers are there though. The drive continues to fill according tro the camera. When full the next drive starts being utilised and the recordings on the 2nd drive exist and can be played back!
Maybe I can go back to larger drives and set my percentage for recording (opposed to pictures) to 50% instead of 98%.

So back to multiple 200GB quota NAS drives with the picture:recording ratio set to 50% and 50%. I had this set to 5% and 95% previously. This time the drive fills to just over 50% then moves onto the next drive. No recording failure.
I have now set back to the default 25% pictures, 75% recordings and reformatted the drives to see if this works OK.

With 75% recordings 25% pictures (as default), the drive is 51% used and recording now failing.
Going back to 50% each (wasteful, but I have just about enough capacity to make it work) to see how I go. Very odd issue that I am surprised is not more widely known.

Back