01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

DS-7608NI-I2 8P bandwidth use?

mysterymbps

For the NVR

Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2-8P 8 Channel​

is there anywhere I can see the live bandwidth being used by the cameras? - I am keen to have at least 3 8MP colorvu, but realise I only have 80mbps to play with.

Thanks

Hi @mysterymbps

As far as we are aware you can only view live bandwidth usage via a direct HDMI/VGA monitor.

When using a direct monitor if you go to Maintenance > Network you can see several pages of data showing the bandwidth usage of the NVR, unfortunately, they don't break it down to what bandwidth each camera is using but the total should still help you adjust the camera settings to keep the bandwidth down.

thanks for the prompt reply.
one other point - what is the most appropriate compression standard for the 8mp colorvu/acusense cameras ( e.g DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL) - H264, H265, H265+?

H.265+ is the highest level of compression but will limit your use of Smart Events, if you are relying on events then you will want to use H.265

Hi @Dan @mysterymbps

I check "Maintenance/System Info/Record" (only on NVR direct) when I want to see the camera bitrates...

I'm assuming this is the actual bitrate the NVR (I-series) receives from each camera, but maybe it is just the bitrate being recorded to disk... but I think they should be the same?

The cameras do need to be recording in order to see the bitrate on this screen.

The page updates every 5 seconds, so I assume the bitrates shown are 5 second averages.

Another way you can get 1 second averages on a graph...

Again only on the NVR direct... go to "Maintenance/Network/Traffic"... ensure the sending green/graph line is low or at 0... it will be unless you have Hik-connect, iVMS-4200, etc. running already... then open iVMS-4200 (preferably on a local wired pc) and live view 1 camera (probably the mainstream you are interested in)...

It's interesting to change the camera max bitrate, compression settings, video quality, frame rate, etc. while watching the graph. You can also see the effect of lots of motion.

Last edited:
Thanks @johnfitzy

You are right that the live data shown in the Maintenance/System Info/Record menu is the bandwidth usage of each connected camera.

Back