01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Event notification AND continuous recording?

Kryten22uk

Looking at Hikvisikion cam/NVR setup, is it possible to continuously record, but have the system also identify times when an event happened? For example, I don't want to have to watch a whole night's recording to see if anyone was scouting out a building.

It is possible to set up event notifications alongside continuous recording, but these only show up as markers on the playback timeline when using a directly connected monitor, it did use to be possible to see the event markers via a browser but for some unknown reason Hikvision removed/broke this feature on the I-series NVRs. We have pushed them for a fix and they say Hikvision HQ are working on a solution, but currently, the only way to view event markers alongside continuous recording is to use a directly connected monitor.

Thanks for the response. It's odd that it's not there as a standard feature, as I'd have thought it pretty fundamental to CCTV footage/security review. Are any other brands better in this regard?

There are multiple features/menus that are not accessible or accessed differently on a browser vs. a direct monitor. It is quite common for the browser access to be not as polished and user-friendly as the direct monitor interface, this is simply because a lot of the manufacturers see their IP products as professional products for large scale installations where 90% of the time they are only accessing via a direct monitor, so they have focused their attentions on making the direct monitor interface as user-friendly and feature-rich as possible. This can lead to the browser interface getting left behind and not as much work is being done to improve this mode of access.

You are correct that some manufacturer's browser access is better than others, probably the best at the moment would be what AXIS offer, but to go with an AXIS system you would be looking at 2x the price for an equivalent system.

Back