01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

"Face detection" smart event working but VCA "Face capture" not!

drmcross

I have a DS-7608NI-I2 / 8P NVR on most recent firmware and 8xIP cameras of different types and ages. All IP cameras (example front door DS-2CD2155FWD-I) have face detection enabled in smart event and "Enable Dual-VCA" checked. All streams are H.265 (but NOT H.265+). Initially when I navigated to VCA Face Capture on the NVR I saw 3 of my 8 cameras were allowing this to occur. Once I finished "fiddling" with the settings of the other cameras in an attempt to make them appear as well I found that now none of my cameras allow VCA face detection!! All I get is the error message "The camera does not support this function" when, half an hour ago, three of them did! Any ideas??

Have you enabled face capture in the camera settings as by default it's set to Smart Event. Enabling face capture disables Smart event (line crossing etc). On some of the older cameras with G1 platform firmware, face capture can be enabled without losing Smart events but on the newer G3 platform you have to chose one or the other as in the image below.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 18.00.52.png

Ahh my bad - I'm not sure in that case unfortunately. My older cameras don't have that option either, just the newer ones. Face Capture and Facial Recognition are different, so only a few cameras would support the latter.

Edit: I take it in the NVR local menu, for face capture within smart events on all cameras you have the "Save VCA Picture" box checked? The option is only visible on the local NVR menu and I think it's enabled by default.

Last edited:
Ahh my bad - I'm not sure in that case unfortunately. My older cameras don't have that option either, just the newer ones. Face Capture and Facial Recognition are different, so only a few cameras would support the latter.

Edit: I take it in the NVR local menu, for face capture within smart events on all cameras you have the "Save VCA Picture" box checked? The option is only visible on the local NVR menu and I think it's enabled by default.
Yes that's right, they are all checked. I must say it is one of the annoyances of the Hikvision system how each access mode is not a mirror of the other and you can find different settings on IVMS / via IP / via NVR etc. Oh well. I don't think I would even have thought twice about the VCA face capture setting had I not have noticed that two of my cameras initially seemed to support it and now are saying they don't. It's like being told you can't have something - suddenly you want it more than ever!!

Back