01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

[FAQ] NVR Shows "No Resource" in Quad View

Kieran

Knows a LOT of stuff
Trusted Member
NVR Shows "No Resource" in Quad View
Q:

Hello,

I've just added a fourth camera purchased from yourselves to my existing DS-7608NI-E2-8P. It's connecting and recording fine.

However, whenever I view my cameras in a quad view (2x2) I can only view three of them. The other camera has a black screen showing "No Resource". This same camera displays fine in a single view though, and I'm not even close to touching the 80Mbps incoming bandwidth limit of the 7608 (I have ~50Mbps idle at all times).

Any ideas?
This is a question or problem we get presented with regarding the DS-7604NI-E1-4P and the DS-7608NI-E2-8P sometimes, and whilst we don't sell it, we've also heard reports of the same issue on the DS-7616NI-E2-8P too.

Unfortunately, this is an inherent shortcoming of the old DS-7600-E(x) series of NVRs connected with 3MP+ cameras, and is a hardware limitation. It only presents itself when connecting a monitor directly to the NVR and not when connecting via a web browser.

Don't worry - just because it's saying No Resource in the live view doesn't mean the footage isn't being recorded. The NVR is completely capable of recording all four 3MP+ cameras at the same time, and indeed more than four if you have a 7608 or 7616 and aren't exceeding the maximum incoming bandwidth, but it is incapable of outputting four simultaneous live feeds at their main stream resolutions.

This is as I said a hardware limitation in the NVR and is not tied to the maximum incoming bandwidth that the NVRs NIC is capable of. Our enquirer for example has approximately 50Mbps of idle bandwidth he could use, but he's still seeing the issue. Simply put, the DS-7600-E(x) NVRs were seemingly not optimised at the time with displaying 4x 3MP cameras simultaneously in mind, and certainly not the newer 4MP R6 family and 4K cameras that are popular now.

This issue only presents itself in the quad view layout of these particular models. This is because the NVR will automatically determine which stream to display based on the number of cameras attempted to be viewed simultaneously - the high resolution main stream, or the low resolution sub stream. In single view, it uses the main stream for a single camera which is perfectly fine. In 1 + 5 view, it uses the main stream for one camera and the less taxing sub stream for the other five. In quad view (2x2) however, the NVR attempts to use the main stream for all four automatically and, if your cameras are set to use a 3MP+ resolution main stream, it simply doesn't have the decoding capability to display them all at once.

Hence, one is dropped and displayed as "No Resource".

There is unfortunately very little that can be done about this. Reducing some of the camera's resolutions to 1920x1080 (2MP) should resolve the issue, but it's a bit of a workaround. Otherwise, I'd suggest using a different live view layout if monitoring is of importance, or a client PC connecting over a web browser instead.

For anyone interested in purchasing a Hikvision NVR who might be a little concerned, we currently like to recommend the newer -I(x) series of Hikvision NVRs as they have much greater hardware specifications which doesn't suffer from the above issue, and are geared up for up to 4K resolution recording.

Hi, came across this post when looking up info on this same issue, I've got a Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P (newer version of the NVR you refer to above?), I had 3 Hikvision 4k 8mp cameras connected and could watch their feed on my monitor connected direct to the NVR and my TV connected via a 4k hdmi cable (NVR outputting in 4k over hdmi), only issue I had was when I went into the playback screen on the NVR I got a No Resource message which haddent happened previously but then started happening. This week I've added a 4th 4k 8mp camera, my NVR refuses to display all 4 camera feeds together either on the attached monitor or out the hdmi output which is set to 2x2 and connected to my TV, I get a No Resource message displayed where the 4th camera feed should be shown, I can switch to sub view and see that the camera is working fine though.

Does my NVR have the same issue described above? Or is there a way of sorting this issue?

Ta

You need to use the sub-stream for your multi-view

You need to use the sub-stream for your multi-view
Thanks Phil, assume that's on both VGA and HDMI ports?
I've tried using a Web browser on my TV as Sub Stream isn't great quality on the big screen but I get a plug in not available message and no video displayed, is there a browser that works properly on Samsung TVs?

is there a browser that works properly on Samsung TVs?
No.
I have yet to come across any browser in a TV which can render video.
I guess it may become possible as the camera manufacturers upgrade their firmware to 'no plugin' solutions.

Reactions: DBM
No.
I have yet to come across any browser in a TV which can render video.
I guess it may become possible as the camera manufacturers upgrade their firmware to 'no plugin' solutions.
Thanks again Phil, I've changed a few settings tonight and my 4x4 view over hdmi on the big screen TV is currently stable, switched it to 1080p from 4k for now, spent a while looking for where I can set the video outputs over hdmi to Sub from Main and can't find it, do I just click on the Main folder icon on my VGA display for each camera to switch the hdmi outputs to sub also?

Thanks

No resource" refers to the decoding resources of current device are not sufficient to preview the current resolution of all channels, including Single screen and Multi-screen.

Back