01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help deciding on monitor / tablet for camera viewing?

moose91

I have a camera that overlooks the front door, in the hallway close to the front door I want to have a monitor / tablet that will show the live view of this camera.
I'm looking for ideas for a tablet / monitor that fits my needs;

No bigger than a 13 inch screen
Ideally resolution 1920 x 1080 or higher (the higher the better)
I have an option to power by mains or PoE, either is fine.
When I walk near to the tablet / monitor for it to wake up and display the camera live view
Screen to sleep within say 5 minutes of no motion detected?

edit - I'm running NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P and camera DS-2CD2387G2-LU.

Thanks!

Hi @moose91

We would probably recommend the Hikvision Android Indoor Stations which are available in 7" and 10" screen size options.

These indoor stations are primarily designed for use with the Hikvision intercom products, but these Android versions of the indoor station support you adding the Hik-Connect app to the station so that you can view all the cameras you have registered to your Hik-Connect app on the indoor station.

I have a camera that overlooks the front door, in the hallway close to the front door I want to have a monitor / tablet that will show the live view of this camera.
I'm looking for ideas for a tablet / monitor that fits my needs;

No bigger than a 13 inch screen
Ideally resolution 1920 x 1080 or higher (the higher the better)
I have an option to power by mains or PoE, either is fine.
When I walk near to the tablet / monitor for it to wake up and display the camera live view
Screen to sleep within say 5 minutes of no motion detected?

edit - I'm running NVR DS-7608NI-I2/8P and camera DS-2CD2387G2-LU.

Thanks!
I use the Amazon Fire tablets as they're relatively cheap compared to the alternatives (especially when there's a Prime day or Black Friday type event). They'll use a standard USB C connection but if you use the 'Plus' models you can conceal a Qi charging pad behind them.

The wake on motion and screen sleep would be handled by loading 'Fully Kiosk Browser' (about £7.50 for a lifetime license)

I use the Amazon Fire tablets as they're relatively cheap compared to the alternatives (especially when there's a Prime day or Black Friday type event). They'll use a standard USB C connection but if you use the 'Plus' models you can conceal a Qi charging pad behind them.

The wake on motion and screen sleep would be handled by loading 'Fully Kiosk Browser' (about £7.50 for a lifetime license)
This is the answer I've been looking for! Thank you, I'll try the Amazon Fire tablets out.

I've got the fire tablet and Fully Kiosk Browser installed. I tried to automate it going directly to the camera web GUI using the IP. it ends up freezing after attempting to enter username and password. Is this how you set yours up to get to the IP address?

I've got the fire tablet and Fully Kiosk Browser installed. I tried to automate it going directly to the camera web GUI using the IP. it ends up freezing after attempting to enter username and password. Is this how you set yours up to get to the IP address?
You will struggle to get it working using the web browser. Many browsers won't permit username & password to be transmitted over http in plain text. There are a few ways it can be done. I'm using mine differently...the rtsp stream is a video tile on my dashboard app.

You could try vlc player and open an rtsp network stream. The example below is for an NVR at IP address 192.168.0.100 with default RTSP port, username 'admin', password 'password', camera 3 sub stream:

rtsp://admin:password@192.168.0.100:554/Streaming/Channels/302

I've set the sub stream on that camera for H264. The sub stream is used as I got a black screen when using the main stream (4K H265). I've just downloaded and tried VLC so can confirm it will work. You should be able to set your 2387's up with a 720P sub stream so image quality on a tablet size screen is good.

You could also just install Hik-Connect and add the NVR locally (using the NVR local IP address rather than logging into Hik-Connect). I've done that previously.

You will struggle to get it working using the web browser. Many browsers won't permit username & password to be transmitted over http in plain text. There are a few ways it can be done. I'm using mine differently...the rtsp stream is a video tile on my dashboard app.

You could try vlc player and open an rtsp network stream. The example below is for an NVR at IP address 192.168.0.100 with default RTSP port, username 'admin', password 'password', camera 3 sub stream:

rtsp://admin:password@192.168.0.100:554/Streaming/Channels/302

I've set the sub stream on that camera for H264. The sub stream is used as I got a black screen when using the main stream (4K H265). I've just downloaded and tried VLC so can confirm it will work. You should be able to set your 2387's up with a 720P sub stream so image quality on a tablet size screen is good.

You could also just install Hik-Connect and add the NVR locally (using the NVR local IP address rather than logging into Hik-Connect). I've done that previously.

I was able to automate the username and password entered in the web gui no problem. when logged in you can't view live stream as it's not possible to install the plugin.
So that's a no go.

Next option is as you suggest the sub stream;
Got the sub stream working through VLC, thank you.
The problem I have is you cannot automate it to open VLC and then the stream upon motion detected, can you?

I was able to automate the username and password entered in the web gui no problem. when logged in you can't view live stream as it's not possible to install the plugin.
So that's a no go.

Next option is as you suggest the sub stream;
Got the sub stream working through VLC, thank you.
The problem I have is you cannot automate it to open VLC and then the stream upon motion detected, can you?
I've not messed with the motion detection as I like my screens on permanently, however it looks to be possible at a glance. In Fully settings:

Settings > Device Management > Keep Screen On > Off
Settings > Device Management > Screen Off Timer > Set as you want in seconds
Settings > Motion Detection > Enable Visual Motion Detection > On
Settings > Motion Detection > Turn Screen On on Motion > On

Those settings should put the screen to sleep after ?? seconds and rewake it when motion is detected. If the stream has been started already in VLC (or Hik-Connect) that might do what you want. You'll want the app intent for VLC to be the start url for fully (when you start Fully it will load the VLC app using its intent url).

Fully has a lot of settings and options so you'll have to explore them a bit. One thing that's worth doing to make it a little easier is to reserve an IP on your router for your Fire tablet. Then if you go to Settings > Remote Administration and enable all options except cloud, you'll be able to remotely connect to Fully on your tablet from a web browser on a laptop or PC at http://Fire_IP_address:2323. I have four tablets in different rooms and I find it much easier to adjust the settings remotely like that.

Last edited:
I've not messed with the motion detection as I like my screens on permanently, however it looks to be possible at a glance. In Fully settings:

Settings > Device Management > Keep Screen On > Off
Settings > Device Management > Screen Off Timer > Set as you want in seconds
Settings > Motion Detection > Enable Visual Motion Detection > On
Settings > Motion Detection > Turn Screen On on Motion > On

Those settings should put the screen to sleep after ?? seconds and rewake it when motion is detected. If the stream has been started already in VLC (or Hik-Connect) that might do what you want. You'll want the app intent for VLC to be the start url for fully (when you start Fully it will load the VLC app using its intent url).

Fully has a lot of settings and options so you'll have to explore them a bit. One thing that's worth doing to make it a little easier is to reserve an IP on your router for your Fire tablet. Then if you go to Settings > Remote Administration and enable all options except cloud, you'll be able to remotely connect to Fully on your tablet from a web browser on a laptop or PC at http://Fire_IP_address:2323. I have four tablets in different rooms and I find it much easier to adjust the settings remotely like that.
I don't think this will do what I want it to do. Using VLC to stream is Laggy too.

How can you get hik connect on the fire tablet? It's not in the amazon app store.

I don't think this will do what I want it to do. Using VLC to stream is Laggy too.

How can you get hik connect on the fire tablet? It's not in the amazon app store.
I tried the 'screen off' and motion detection 'screen on' and it worked for me. My start url for Fully is my dashboard app so when it woke on motion it went back to that rather than VLC (which is expected). I'm sure it would work with VLC if I'd configured it that way.

With regard to VLC being 'laggy' I don't see that at all. Is your NVR connected by wired connection to your network? Even if it is, I'd suspect that maybe your WiFi (at the tablet) could be the cause of lag. It would be worth doing some tests, but a simple speed test only shows averages over a short period of time and it's latency/jitter that will cause lag.

With regard to Hik-Connect, just download it from appstore.hikvision.com. The tablet will give a security warning that you’ll have to override, both when downloading and installing the app.

Last edited:
I tried the 'screen off' and motion detection 'screen on' and it worked for me. My start url for Fully is my dashboard app so when it woke on motion it went back to that rather than VLC (which is expected). I'm sure it would work with VLC if I'd configured it that way.

With regard to VLC being 'laggy' I don't see that at all. Is your NVR connected by wired connection to your network? Even if it is, I'd suspect that maybe your WiFi (at the tablet) could be the cause of lag. It would be worth doing some tests, but a simple speed test only shows averages over a short period of time and it's latency/jitter that will cause lag.

With regard to Hik-Connect, just download it from appstore.hikvision.com. The tablet will give a security warning that you’ll have to override, both when downloading and installing the app.

NVR is wired to 900mbps down/up.
Wireless is perfect as I'm running Ubiquiti AP's throughout the property. low latency and good down / up speeds.

I didn't like using the VLC stream as it was delayed and low quality as having to run it on sub stream.

Using Hik Connect to connect to the NVR IP works way better as will use higher resolution and very little delay on loading / refreshing (compared to VLC stream).
It took some messing around to get it setup exactly how I wanted.
Using the 'Fully Single App Kiosk'
Set Hik-Connect as the single app
Enable Visual Motion Detection (ON)
-Turn Screen On on Motion (ON)
Device Movement Detection (ON)
-Turn Screen On on Movement (ON)

'Unlock Swipe Screen Lock' doesn't work. I had to basically disable the lock screen by using SetEdit Database Editor. Lots of info online if you google it.

I managed to get it setup exactly how I want for my needs.
Thanks for your patience and help @JB1970.

I have one last question.... the MB mounts you've discussed in previous threads, are they USA only and have to pay high shipping + import fees?
Any UK based alternatives?

NVR is wired to 900mbps down/up.
Wireless is perfect as I'm running Ubiquiti AP's throughout the property. low latency and good down / up speeds.

I didn't like using the VLC stream as it was delayed and low quality as having to run it on sub stream.

Using Hik Connect to connect to the NVR IP works way better as will use higher resolution and very little delay on loading / refreshing (compared to VLC stream).
It took some messing around to get it setup exactly how I wanted.
Using the 'Fully Single App Kiosk'
Set Hik-Connect as the single app
Enable Visual Motion Detection (ON)
-Turn Screen On on Motion (ON)
Device Movement Detection (ON)
-Turn Screen On on Movement (ON)

'Unlock Swipe Screen Lock' doesn't work. I had to basically disable the lock screen by using SetEdit Database Editor. Lots of info online if you google it.

I managed to get it setup exactly how I want for my needs.
Thanks for your patience and help @JB1970.

I have one last question.... the MB mounts you've discussed in previous threads, are they USA only and have to pay high shipping + import fees?
Any UK based alternatives?
Glad you're sorted. Funnily enough I'm having issues with Hik-Connect on my tablets this morning and I never did previously. The tablets are creating and Fully is restarting if I double click a camera to bring it full screen. I've updated the app to the latest version, ran the updates on the Fire tablet and tried both software and hardware decoding in the app - I've never had an issue before. I too use Ubiquiti and I'm wondering whether recent firmware updates to both U6 Lite AP's and Unify Dream Router could have upset something.

I forgot to mention...you'll need to keep Hik-Connect up to date manually but don't do it at appstore.hikvision.com or you'll end up with multiple copies of the app running. Instead you'll click:

Me > About > Detect latest version then download it there. After a few minutes you can install the update from that same menu.

MB mounts are only available from USA. I think when I looked some time ago, the overall cost inc shipping wasn't too bad

Back