01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Help with IP CCTV

robl28

Hi all, ive had a look though and cant see my questions answered so sorry if this has been asked... I understand the basics but thats about it.

Q1.
Im looking for an IP CCTV system for a pub, initially we are looking at 8 cameras with the view to upgrading to 16 when finances become available. I have a friend in the CCTV industry and he has recommended Dahua but he has quoted quite a high price for supply only. I was wondering if there are any other brands that I should consider that are at a cheaper price point that perform the same.

I would like a 16 channel NVR with P.O.E and bullet cameras that provide 4mp or more with IR, these will be overlooking tills and the floor so must have good enough quality to zoom in on what cash has been handed over (to prove what's been given was given).

We will be on standard broadband (not fibre) and would also like to be able to view the cameras remotely and possibly like to receive push notifications if motion is detected.

Q2.
Where the NVR will be homed is in an office room and ideally, we don't want to have to drill for 16 cables to go in there, I know I can use a POE switch but how many cameras (4-5mp) can I run off this with a single cat5e cable running to a single port on the NVR?? Could I, for example, have 4 behind the bar go into a switch then have a single cat5e going from that going to the NVR?

Q3.
Whats the longest run we can do using cat5e from a camera to the NVR?

Q4.
If I were to have 16 cameras at 4-5mp what size harddrive would peeps recommend for roughly a months worth of storage?

Thanks peeps, it is much appreciated.
Rob

Q1. We Don't sell Dahua but we do sell their competitor Hikvision's products, both of these ranges are similar prices and there isn't any other brand we sell that would offer similar quality as both Dahua & Hikvision for a cheaper price, see below our recommendations from the Hikvision range:

Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2-16P 16 Channel Network Video Recorder
Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP Turret Network Camera
Hikvision DS-2CD2045FWD-I 4MP Mini Bullet Network Camera

Q2. There are multiple ways you can connect cameras to the NVR. All 16 cameras can be on one PoE Switch if you want, you can alternatively split it down to multiple smaller switches, or each camera can use an individual PoE Injection. traditionally the switch or injectors are run to somewhere else on the network (e.g. directly to the router, wall network ports, etc...) but it is possible with an I-series Hikvision NVR to connect the PoE switch directly to the NVRs PoE ports, it's explained in this video -

Q3. 100m is the furthest an NVR or standard PoE switch will send network & power over a Cat5e or Cat6 cable, traditionally if you wanted to go further than that you would need to place an extender at the 100m mark to go beyond that distance. Now though there are injectors and switches offer 150m+ options, but in your pub scenario, you are unlikely to be running cable lengths longer than 100m.

Q4. It's difficult to calculate storage as there are many variables but a rough estimate to get 30 days recording from 16 x 4MP cameras would be around 8-10TB.

Back