01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik 4G NVR nightmare

Myes

Purchased a hikvision 4g nvr as location was rural.

Giffgaff simcard being used directly inside the NVR, good signal at location, 4 bar.

X2 cameras via POE using Cat5e

Hikconnect App for remote viewing.

I am a sparky by trade so a complete noob with CCTV.

Set up with auto settings etc, Platform access was Online, and Hik connect was working fine for 2 months no issue.

All of a sudden, device goes offline. I pop down to site to investigate and cannot get my head around it. None of the settings have been changed by anybody so it has gone offline on its own accord.
20220628_211217.jpg
20220628_211155.jpg

For the life of me I cannot get it back online. I have restored back to factory settings but still will not change status to online.

1. Why has it changed, nothing was touched.

2. How do i sort this

Sorry, not a lot of experience with the 4G NVRs.
Did it ever indicate that GiffGaff were the provider?
Do you have any kind of portal for GiffGaff?
Does that show the SIM card status as still OK?
It still has data available to use?

There are two tways I can suggest , firstly a SIM with a FIXED IP ADDRESS. They can be quite expensive though, for unlimited data, ,£80/ month or so.
Secondly (much cheaper way) is to buy a standard data SIM (for example Lebera with unlimited data) for £12 / month and then (REALLY IMPORTANTLY) you need to install a router such as Teltonika or one of the newer routers that run OPENWRT , then download ZERO TIER1 app on the router. You'll probably need a good hour to read-up on this and put the settings in place, but once its done, its rock -solid. (basically , by using the Zero Tier 1 program on both router and the phone/ipad /laptop that need to see the CCTV cameras, you create something similar to a VPN, which puts the external devices on the same LAN as the CCTV camera, the ISP (sim) provider wont stop the connection (which is the biggest problem with accessing CCTV when its on a 4g connection).

Back