01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HIK Connect regularly getting bell images not snapshot images.

Mr Wright

My HIK Connect (Android APP) new notifications regularly fails to receive a camera snapshot image but get bell images instead.

I've seen other posts on this issue but they seem to go off to discuss email / SMTP settings. I'm not using email and it's not configured - just HIK-Connect.

My equipment is a DS-7616NI-I216P with 5 local POE DS-2CD2383G0-I cameras and 4 LAN POE DS-2CD2383G0-I cameras.
DS-7616NI-I216P Firmware V4.21.008 build 190625 ... [Configuration\Network\Advanced Settings\Platform Access\HIK_Connect "Enabled"]
DS-2CD2383G0-I Firmware V5.6.2 build 190701 ... [Configuration\Event\Smart Event\Intrusion Detection\Linkage Method\Notify Surveillance Center "Enabled"]
HIKConnect version is V 3.11.1.1023

The problem is most noticeable during the day.
So what I've noticed is that the problem doesn't happen much at night when the cameras change to IR mode and capture B&W images.
The bell images appear on more than one mobile handset and the same pattern on each handset.
The bell images appear on the mobile handset both when I'm local to the NVR or when I'm away from the property.

So I believe this is some form of bandwidth issue - as colour images are larger than B&W.

My next step would be to segregate the 4 LAN POE DS-2CD2383G0-I cameras off the LAN and direct to the NVR to reduce LAN traffic and possible congestion between the NVR and Internet Router. I can do this - but it will take me a few weeks to pull new CAT6 cables etc.

In the mean time would it be possible to reduce the snapshot size? ... I've had a look and can't see where this is set.
All help and comments welcome. Thanks. :)

Hi @Mr Wright

You need to go into the Capture settings under the storage menu on the NVR and change the Event-Triggered Capture file size. (see below)

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 12.59.29.png

We have been told by Hikvision that the maximum size of a file to be attached to an email is 512KB, so I assume it is something similar for captures sent to the app.

Thanks Dan,
Now that you pointed out those settings - I remember I've been in there previously.
As they were 8Mb cameras I figured 704x576 would be no major issue for snapshots.
[Configuration\Storage\Schedule Settings\Capture\Capture Parameters\Event-Triggered\Resolution from 704x576 to "352x288"].
I'll post an update for events after this change.
Many thanks.

Reactions: Dan
Update after 10 days.
I noticed my NVR and 7 cameras were 1 firmware version behind - so I updated all devices with the latest firmware - this involved each device rebooting. After this every notification had the relevant camera snapshot and I haven't had a bell image with a notification since.
The fix was either the NVR latest firmware installation or the reboot. If it reoccurs with the new firmware I'll update this post.
With regards to the point above from Dan - thank you for your input - the image on the Android HIK Connect App is FHD - 1920x1080 - even though the NVR event snap shot is set to 352x288 and the same setting on each camera is 3840x2160 without the possibility to scale down.
I hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.

Back