01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik Vision Model pro

yodaman23

Hi all got a hikvision pro system with 1 cam all been ok . just changed ISP from virgin to bt since modem has been changed not working via wifi or internet done port forwarding all seems ok but now probs helppppppppppppppp

Hi all got a hikvision pro system with 1 cam all been ok . just changed ISP from virgin to bt since modem has been changed not working via wifi or internet done port forwarding all seems ok but now probs helppppppppppppppp
Your network settings in the NVR need changing in the NVR if they were set manually originally.

Virgin Media uses the 192.168.0.xxx IP range by default with a default gateway/router address of 192.168.0.1
BT uses the 192.168.1.xxx IP range by default with a default gateway/router address of 192.168.1.254

So you need to change your settings to match and redo the service/port forwarding in the BT router settings as you can't port forward to the old 192.168.0.xxx address now that the network is using 192.168.1.xxx

Bit confused as port forwarding done for ports 8000 80 and 554 can view over network but not out and about the Bt router is connected to an ASUS router then cctv

Bit confused
Me too!...In your first post you say -
since modem has been changed not working via wifi or internet
While in your second you say -
can view over network
To be honest you're using a configuration that will make it difficult for anyone to assist - 2 routers. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe you've just plugged your Asus back into the new BT router without any changes in the BT router. If so - you'll still get a connection over WiFi, as the NVR/DVR is connected to the Asus as before and so nothing has changed with regard to the internal network addressing/LAN.

But your Virgin Media router will previously have been in modem mode, with the Asus router providing the WiFi, DHCP and all port forwarding/routing settings. For it to work the same with BT you'll need to ensure that the BT router is also in modem only mode. Otherwise you'll have both a BT and Asus wireless network broadcasting, two DHCP servers on the network and incoming traffic destined for your CCTV will be getting dropped by the BT router before getting to the port forwarding rules in the Asus. You'll also have issue with double NAT.

All the above is unfortunately guesswork as without knowing the settings you've configured in the BT router, the Asus router and the CCTV NVR/DVR we've little to go on.

I also use Virgin Media in modem mode with my own router. I do this because I had specific issue with the Virgin Media Hub 3 when it was released. Do you actually need the Asus? If so you'll have to configure it correctly to avoid double NAT; If not just remove it and set up a service and port forwarding in the BT router.

One final thought - you don't mention how you were connecting to the CCTV IE which app and which method - IP/Domain or Hik Connect service.

I have managed to view with hick connect app via WiFi . The set up is internet/ optics - Bt Hub 2 - Ethernet cable - Assus router - Ethernet- hick vision Dvr - ip cctv .
We have to have assus router to extend WiFi so have got 3 WiFi networks Bt / Assus 2.4 - 5G .
This set up has worked for many years when on virgin all ok but know on Bt can’t view cctv via internet mobile phone or web browser Google chrome / IE / Safari / Firefox

regards

Richard

I have managed to view with hick connect app via WiFi . The set up is internet/ optics - Bt Hub 2 - Ethernet cable - Assus router - Ethernet- hick vision Dvr - ip cctv .
We have to have assus router to extend WiFi so have got 3 WiFi networks Bt / Assus 2.4 - 5G .
This set up has worked for many years when on virgin all ok but know on Bt can’t view cctv via internet mobile phone or web browser Google chrome / IE / Safari / Firefox

regards

Richard
Yeah - I appreciate it may have worked previously but it's far from ideal and is not a supported method of networking. With Virgin (usually) you would have had the hub in modem mode with the Asus routers WAN (internet) port connected to LAN port 1, so you'd have only the Asus WiFi network visible. Modem mode switches off all functions on the router and just forwards everything from the internet to the Asus. Before you switched suppliers, the LED on the Virgin Hub 3 would've been lit solid pink for modem mode, while if it had been in standard router mode it would've been solid white.

If there is such a setting on the BT Hub 2 to allow the Asus to handle everything I'd use it, or ditch the Asus. Double NAT will causes no end of issues and not necessarily just with the CCTV - Xbox or Playstation (if you use them) could also have problems.

Edit: If you're just using the Asus to extend WiFi it's maybe possible. But reading your config again the CCTV wires to the Asus and the Asus wires to the BT Hub. So the port forwarding would be setup in the BT router (not the Asus) as all CCTV internet traffic is going over the cabled link between the 2 routers. You would need to make sure that the DHCP server was switched off on the Asus, so that all devices get their IP addresses assigned by the BT Hub even if they are connected wirelessly to the Asus. You'd be better ditching the Asus, telling BT their WiFi is hopeless and getting them to provide their own extenders free of charge.

Last edited:

regards

Richard
Sounds like a setup for double NATting. I assume the BT router has the public IP from the VDSL WAN and port forwarding as well. Check the BT router logs for incoming WAN connections, establish a baseline for troubleshooting and switch off the ASUS.

Sounds like a setup for double NATting. I assume the BT router has the public IP from the VDSL WAN and port forwarding as well. Check the BT router logs for incoming WAN connections, establish a baseline for troubleshooting and switch off the ASUS.
Yeah if you read his setup, he's using it as a WiFi extender so is a headache of a setup......

@yodaman23 I would definitely temporarily switch off the ASUS router and test from the BT router WiFi / ethernet interface. Introducing new network equipment has changed the dynamics, how it used to work may not be possible.

test cctv web GUI connectivity on the BT router LAN side.
Check the BT router system WAN / firewall logs.
if used, check your DDNS is resolving the BT router public IP.
port forwarding public (WAN) ports could be blocked by BT router firewall, temporarily disable the firewall and check access from the WAN side.

Back