01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision 5MP camera - what resolution setting?

Hi guys - I have some DS-2CD2355FWD-I 5MP turret camera’s that I use with a DS-7604NI-K1/4P NVR.

From a quick google 5MP camera’s have a resolution of 2560 x 1920, but this isn’t an option on the NVR. Should I drop down to the 4MP resolution of 2560 x 1440, or does it do any harm using for example 3072 x 2048? If I use the higher r solution will it automatically downgrade to 5MP?

Thanks.

Hi,
Have you updated your NVR and cameras to the latest firmware?
If not, can you please update and check the options again.

BTW - I've seen reports of an anomaly that the latest firmware for 5MP EasyIP 3.0 / G1 Family cameras (such as yours) enables a 6MP resolution which seems to work.

The camera’s have the latest firmware, not sure about the NVR. I see there’s an I and K version, but which is mine - DS-7604NI-K1/4P? Which part of the model number does this refer to please? Thanks.

Believe mine is the ‘K’ version running V3.4.97 which seems to be the most recent. The camera’s are running V5.5.3.

Also I can choose 3072 x 1728 which is practically 5MP; would there be any advantage selecting this over the 3072 x 2048 6MP? Better quality image? And would selecting 6MP damage the 5MP camera in any way? Thanks again.

Hi,
Your NVR is on the latest firmware.
Your cameras too.
No advantage in selecting the 3072 x 1728.
Selecting the 6MP 3072 x 2048 resolution won't damage your cameras.

Sorry for being stupid, but am I better to run at 3072 x 2048 then? Thanks.

Yes.
It's pretty much always best to run your cameras at the highest resolution available.

Humm is it possible to damage the camera’s by setting the resolution too high?

I'm now can’t use at 3072 x 2048/1728 as the live footage and playback on a single screen goes black. I can see live footage on the 4 multi-screen display but can’t open any channels to full screen without getting the black screen.

Is there a setting I've messed up as the max resolution I can view single screen recording and playback is 1920 x 1080! This is based on the video quality set to the highest, variable bit rate and full frame.

Lastly (!) my camera's are maximum 15 meters (50 feet) using CAT 5 cable. The NVR gives the option to turn POE power ON / OFF for
each camera. Are my cable lengths classed as short and should I have POE turned ON or OFF?

Thanks for your help!

Lastly (!) my camera's are maximum 15 meters (50 feet) using CAT 5 cable. The NVR gives the option to turn POE power ON / OFF for
each camera. Are my cable lengths classed as short and should I have POE turned ON or OFF?
If you are using POE to power your cameras, then it needs to be ON.
Otherwise it can be turned off.
POE supplying devices will only supply POE if there is a device (camera) connected that is ready to accept POE.

I'm just going to update a 5MP camera and check the resolution options now offered.

OK, I've upgraded a 2055 5MP mini-bullet camera to the latest available V5.5.4 firmware:

2055 at V5.5.4 6-3-18.png

The available resolutions are shown below:

Resolutions available on latest firmware 5MP HikVision camera 6-3-18.png

When set to the 6MP resolution of 3072 x 2048 it displays fine in Internet Explorer:

Screenshot from IE Live Video set at 3072 x 2048 6-3-18.png

I've attached some captures of the same 2055 camera set at 6MP captured via the NVR when viewed in IE on my PC.

Attachments

• 2055 at 6MP on NVR 6-3-18.png
    2055 at 6MP on NVR 6-3-18.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 764
  • 2055 at 6MP single view from NVR 6-3-18.png
    2055 at 6MP single view from NVR 6-3-18.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 808
  • Quad view from the NVR 6MP 2055 is top left 6-3-18.png
    Quad view from the NVR 6MP 2055 is top left 6-3-18.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 795
Nicer aspect ratio and wider field of view as well using the higher resolution compared to 2944x1656.

Yes, one thing I didn't do yesterday was to grab an actual capture still to verify the image size was as set.
So, attached now 3072 x 2048 capture 0.5MB image from a HikVision 2055 mini-bullet running firmware V5.5.4:

192.168.1.84_01_20180307093046284.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Forgetting everything I've typed above, my problem is this. When I recently bought the NVR (8MP) and Camera's (5MP) I was able to view live video and playback through the NVR without problem, and could view live video or video playback via the motion detection / line crossing notifications through the Hik-connect app on my phone. It ran perfectly and consistently with a high resolution. The settings were:

Resolution: 3072 x 2048
Bitrate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Highest
Frame Rate: Full Frame
Video Encoding: H265

Then all of a sudden I was unable to view the single screen camera on the NVR (the TV screen just went black) or any live / playback video on the Hik-connect app ('Network is unstable' message appeared). To get it working as normal I went down through the resolutions where where only 1080P I worked consistently. I've now (ignorantly!) played with some of the settings and it seems to work as follows:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Bitrate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Higher
Frame Rate: 20 fps
Video Encoding: H265

These are replicated for Main Stream (Continuous) and Main Stream (Event). Although it's now working, I'm confused why it won't work with the higher settings like it did at first? Obviously I want the best video quality from my system and thought a Hikvision 8MP NVR would cope effortlessly with four Hikvision 5MP cameras. In fact whilst writing this the single screen camera view on my TV turned has turned black again when the sun (at last!) shone bright; is this a bitrate issue? Without fully understanding the relationship between resolution, bitrate and video quality, do you have any advice?! In reality is there much difference between 'highest', 'higher', 'medium' or 'low' video quality? Is it possible the NVR may be damaged/not working correctly?

Thanks again for your help and knowledge!

As you mention TV, does it make any difference if you adjust/increase your NVR's output resolution?

NVR output resolution 7-3-18.png

You can check for bitrate issues (in the user interface on a directly connected monitor only) as the NVR will show you the bandwidth currently used and remaining available.

Morning. The maximum I can increase the output resolution to is 1920x1080 at 60Hz, as my TV isn’t 4K. When I say the TV goes black I mean only the single camera window within the NVR software and not the entire TV screen itself.

As for the bandwidth I can only find where it says ‘Net Receive Idle Bandwidth: 26Mbps’.

Think I mentioned before but does 3.2W to 4.4W power use for each camera seem normal?
26EF257C-477B-4DEB-8A0E-03C9871E38C5.jpeg

When you are viewing multiple cameras on your TV are they set to sub-stream?
Try that.

Those POE power values are fine.

Back