01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 2.8mm - Mounting Height?

NewbieCCTB

Hi All,

Newbie here.

I have recently moved house and have decide to install a cctv system using IP cameras

In my previous property I had wireless ring cameras. Whilst they served a purpose, I started to google POE cameras and ended up down the IPCam rabbit hole!

I have ended up at the following system

x6 HikVision DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 2.8mm
Blue IRIS running on a dedicated PC.
Netgear 8 Port POE Switch (as not using an NVR)

Below are few pictures of a house I found on right move that is the same layout as mine. The only difference is I don't have a side alley on the right hand side of the house and my Extension is the full width of the house so I haven't added cameras down the right hand side in my layout

Are the camera locations I am proposing right? are 2.8mm ones fine for what I am looking at or should I be getting a 12mm lens one above the front door?

Will also be getting a doorbell as well so maybe that would be best for capturing faces near there? all the walls are currently stripped and waiting to be plastered so I am planning to run the cat 6 cables to these locations next week. thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• 202865_103356001961_IMG_09_0000.jpeg
    202865_103356001961_IMG_09_0000.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 202865_103356001961_IMG_08_0000.jpeg
    202865_103356001961_IMG_08_0000.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 22.37.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 22.37.08.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 225
Hi @NewbieCCTB

Your proposed positions are good :)

If you are concerned about cameras 3 and 4 getting vandalised, you could mount these higher up on the first-floor wall behind where you currently have them, but you would need to use a longer focal length (probably 6mm or a varifocal camera) to keep the roof out of shot.
The other cameras should be installed at ~2.5m+ to keep them out of a person's reach too.

For the front and back of the house, you will have better coverage if you combine a 2.8mm and 4mm camera rather than have both with a 2.8mm lens.
The 2.8mm FoV is wide enough to cover the width of the property on both sides, so it is best for capturing anything near the house, but the 4mm will provide you with a sharper picture at the back of the garden.

For cameras 5 and 6, 4mm models with rotate mode enabled will probably be best:

I'd advise mounting the alleyway cameras at slightly different heights too, as this will avoid blinding each camera with the other's IR LEDs at night.

If you're going for a doorbell with a wide FOV, then I'd recommend putting the 4mm camera on the front of the house on the same side as the doorbell, as this will be covering the space near the door as you say.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for coming back on this.

So would the proposal be for each camera

1 ) 4mm as I wil have a wide FOV doorbell
2) 2.8mm
3) 2.8m
4) 4mm
5) 4mm
6) 4mm (different height from 5)

Hi @NewbieCCTB

Yes, those focal lengths should give you good coverage with minimal FoV overlap (which is wasted FoV).

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for this.

Now my last question. After more research I found that there are a colorvu version of the camera!

What is the consensus as to which is better? Is it darkfighter (DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL) or corlorvu (DS-2CD2387G2- LSU/SL) cameras?

Hi @NewbieCCTB

Yes, ColorVu is definitely something to consider.

The ColorVu cameras come with a built-in white light LED (instead of the IR LED of the AcuSense) to achieve a colour image at night, but this is quite bright so not ideal for residential installs. You can disable the white light and if there is enough ambient light (street lights, security lights, etc...) you can still achieve a good colour image at night.

Our usual recommendation is if the scene is completely dark/no ambient light then use AcuSense (IR) and if you do have some additional lighting you can consider ColorVu.

If you search ColorVu and/or DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL on the forum and YouTube you should see some example images/videos of the ColorVu performance.

Also, you should consider the latest Hybrid Light models, these actually feature both IR and White light LEDs to allow you to switch from IR/B&W to colour when there is activity in the scene. A forum user tested one of these cameras and did a great post on it, see below:

Okay so after a weekend of looking into this im sold on the smart hybrid ones. Is there any update as to when Live Guard will be a function? Is that hardware or software update?

Hi @NewbieCCTB

Good to hear you've reached a decision.

We are not aware of any plans for Hybrid Light & Live-Guard models, these would need to be completely different hardware as you would need a 3rd LED for the Live-Guard strobe light (squeezing this 3rd light in probably requires some quite complicated design & engineering changes to the cameras so if they do appear it will probably quite a wait before they do).

Thanks @LoinKing

These product pages are on the Hikvision Global site but it does look like the 4MP & 8MP models do have product pages on the Hikvision UK site which suggests that these models will be coming to the UK market but the Hikvision UK warehouse is not showing any stock in or coming soon at the moment.

You probably won't see these models in UK stock until Q4 2023/Q1 2024.

Hi both thanks for confirming

Things got delayed at my house so I am now going to get the cameras. are those new strobe ones available?

Hi @NewbieCCTB

As far as we can see, there might be some stock of the 4MP & 8MP strobe light turrets which has been ordered but we don't yet have lead times for when this stock is arriving in the UK.

Hi Dan,

Is it possible for me to do an order to a pre order on them or are you waiting for stock to be delivered first?

Hi @NewbieCCTB

If you drop us an email (info@use-ip.co.uk) with the exact models & quantities you are after we can confirm the lead times and then if you are happy we can sort out a pre-order invoice to deliver the cameras when they come into stock.

Back