01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision DS-7208huhi-k1 bricked after firmware upg

JamieG

Hi,

Please can someone in the know offer a Newbie some assistance, I've been onto HikVision and downloaded the latest K71 firmware for my device and proceeded to upgrade the firmware, this appeared to go okay and offered to reboot which was duly completed and from there I don't get any screen output at all. I do see the red HikVision splash screen upon boot but nothing else.

I've setup my computers IP to 192.0.0.128 and I can ping the 7208 on 192.0.0.64 but cant login in any way, I've run a port scanner to get a list of open ports, this returns no results.

I've tried using SFTP with my latest firmware and a base version but my device does not get listed in the results / information area.

I've tried SADP - no device listed

I've tried Batch Configuration tool and scanned all IPs within 192.0.0.1 - 254 and nothing, I've tried also scanning 192.0.0.64 ports 1 - 9999 and again nothing.

My device does not have a RS232 port on so can't console on in the normal fashion.

I've also tried a web browser via http & https to the .64 IP.

Can anyone offer some assistance please.

Does your DVR have CH (grey market import) in the serial number? Grey market imports run the risk of bricking with firmware updates.
Using an Ethernet cable, connect a laptop/PC directly to the DVR's Ethernet interface. Configure the laptop adapter to 192.168.1.15 or similar and disable the Wifi adapter on the laptop (if present) to minimize detection issues. Load SADP and see if it finds the DVR. SADP should find the DVR even if it's on a different subnet/address range. if you don't see it, you may need to recover the DVR with Hikvision's TFTP tool. Keep us posted.

Cheers for you reply.

So my S/N doesn't have CH within which is good as I know I've paid for genuine.

As per the previous stuff I've disabled my WiFi and setup using RJ45, this time done as x.x.1.15 as per and nothing appears within SADP nor TFTP.

I've also run angry IP scanner when on the the 192.168.1.x subnet and no other hosts were found bar .15, ran again from 192.0.0.x subnet and this finds two host, mine at .128 and the DVR/NVR on .64

All my testing has been completed whilst WiFi was disabled.

Ah - windows firewall is also off, all these tools have been run as administrator also.

Have you tried another reboot? I've had some funky stuff happen to my NVR that was cured with a second reboot.

About twenty reboots today, also as per the TFTP process theres one in there too.

From your description it sounds like the device is bricked. I’ve done this to my test camera on several occasions trying to load custom firmware. SADP won’t detect the device in this state. The device won’t respond to echo requests either unless TFTP establishes a connection. Hikvision’s TFTPServ recovery tool requires some configuration to work correctly but the instructions for the tool are not 100% correct (digicap.dav misspelt and IP should be 192.168.1.128 in some cases). I recommend you use Scott Lamb’s tool found here. It’s highly configurable and is less prone to failures. It does require Python (v2.7 preferably) installed with ‘Python.exe added to Path’ selected during installation. If you decide to go this route let me know if I can assist.

I've now wiresharked my network and the only ARP signal coming in from a Hanzhou box is as expected 192.0.0.64 is the IP returned so im sure this is right.

So I've never used python before, I've installed it on windows and have a prompt of >>> but don't know what to do from here, tried the commands but invalid syntax

My device does ping okay therefore responds to echo requests

Last edited:
If you type python from the cmd prompt do you get the following? If so you are good to go. Before proceeding, do you have the firmware file downloaded the DVR was last working with? Might be best to load the firmware version we know works first.

So when I run python I do get the ">>>" but typing the commands just gives invalid commands / syntax.

I didn't download to the DVR before it bricked, I will be using a file from a laptop.

Firmware for the DS-7204/7208HUHI-K1 can be found here.
This firmware lists your model as compatible, so let's try it first.
Copy the digicap.dav file to the folder you extracted Scott's script to.

Hi StewartM - thanks for this - I'm ready to do this now. Got the files etc.

Be aware I haven't tired this on a DVR before. There may be a risk of bricking the device 'again' or the process simply failing. If your ok with the risk then proceed.

Connect a Ethernet cable from your laptop's Ethernet port into the DVR's Ethernet port (not the PoE ports).
Configure your Laptop adapter's settings to static 192.0.0.128 255.255.255.0, no gateway or DNS needed.
To avoid complications disable the laptops WiFi adapter.
Open hikvision_tftpd.py with your editor and check line 171 that the laptop IP is set correctly (ignore mine, it's set 192.168.1.128 in the attachment).

Save the changes if required.
Open a command prompt from Windows.
Navigate to the folder you extracted the tool to, cd\tftpPy for example

With the DVR switched on and connected to the laptop copy and paste to the prompt:
python hikvision_tftpd.py
Hit Enter

You should see the tool respond as follows, indicating it's ready to discover a connection:

Power the DVR off and back on. Hopefully it will discover the device and start the process:

After the firmware is uploaded, wait a minute and hopefully you will see an 'unexpected handshake...' message.

If you receive the unexpected handshake the process was successful.
Close the cmd prompt or the firmware will load again.
Power the DVR off and on again and wait a minute or two. Check with SADP or use a browser to navigate to the WebGUI to setup.

If the TFTP fails the script will stay stuck on the line 'Serving .....-byte digicap.dav (block size 512 .....)' and you need to try a different firmware. Keep me posted.

cheers, so I've changed nothing in the script as my laptop is .128 and the DVR .64,

I run and get the following

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All right
C:\Users\Administrator>cd\python
C:\Python>python.exe c:\python\hikvision_tftpd.py
File "c:\python\hikvision_tftpd.py", line 53
except socket.error, e:
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
C:\Python>

Line 53 is as follows
except socket.error, e:

My guess would be firewall:

Open the CMD prompt as Admin and try again.

Additionally, disable the Windows firewall entirely. You can turn it back on after.

Already running as administrator on the cmd.exe prompt, I've also got windows defender and firewall off via services.msc

Still same error.

Back