01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4 cabling query

elgaz

Hi guys,

Newbie here. Looking at buying 14 x Hikvision 4k cameras to replace our existing setup. It will be a mixture of internal and external cameras. Also intend to purchase a Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4 NVR for recording and live viewing.

The building we are putting these in is quite large. Our existing cameras use co-ax, which at the time of installation had to be cabled individually from each camera right back to the DVR unit which sits at one end of the building.

We have a CAT6 computer LAN throughout the building. I know the Hikvision ones will use network cabling rather than co-ax, but does that cabling still have to run directly from the cameras to the NVR? Or can I plug each camera into the closest LAN port to it, put the NVR anywhere I like and plug it directly into our LAN also?

Thanks

Just to clarify, did you mean 14x Hikvision 4MP cameras? Or did you actually mean 14x 4K cameras (8MP)? The latter would be a very hefty system, and too much for a DS-7716NI-I4.

Otherwise though, you're right, you can connect the cameras to your network in any manner (to a switch, to a router, to a network access port etc.) and then connect them across the network to the NVR. Both devices don't have to be physically connected like your old system. This does of course assume you have a method of powering the cameras though, either via POE or a mains PSU.

I did indeed mean 14 x 4K cameras. Is there a higher spec NVR you can recommend? Ideally I'd like it all to be Hikvision for consistency sake and less chance of incompatibilities.

The DS-7716NI-I4 will be just fine for 14x 4MP cameras - it's if they were 4K where you'd have an issue ;)

If you're after a higher-specced NVR regardless, the next step-up would be the DS-7732NI-I4-16P

Thank you.

It's definitely 4k Cameras I'm after. Do you think the Hikvision DS-7732NI-I4-16P 32 could handle 14 of them?

In theory it should, as it has the incoming bandwidth capability to support 14x 4K cameras at an average frame rate, but it's not something I've personally tried or had feedback on so it's difficult to guarantee.

Back