01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision IP cameras and cloud storage.

Tek2020

Hi,

Is it possible to store data recorded via Ip camera to a cloud rather than a DVR?

My current set up is a 4 channel DVR with one IP camera connected to DVR using a POE switch the data from the IP camera stores on the DVR.

At the moment my DVR cannot take any additional camera nor store any more data.

So my question is can I connect a new ip camera to my current set up using hik connect to view it can I also back up the data to a cloud? At home I have two types of cameras sitting there ready to be used. One is a POE IP cam and the other is a POE IP cam with a Sd slot to store data.

Thanks.

Tek

The newer DVR's allow cloud backup but I'd forget cloud storage as an option. The quality at which you could save the video would be of little use. I'd say you have two options:

1. If it's primarily HDTVI cameras you have a new DVR would be most cost effective. I'm not sure what they retail at but most of the cost of a DVR is the storage. If you're on a tight budget and the storage you have in your current DVR is fine, you can just get a DVR without disk and swap your current one across. The newer 8 channel DVRs (and 4 channel ones) will not only take more IP cameras when fully populated with HDTVI cams, but allow you to switch off an analogue channel in favour of it becoming an IP channel.
  2. So my question is can I connect a new ip camera to my current set up using hik connect to view it can I also back up the data to a cloud? At home I have two types of cameras sitting there ready to be used. One is a POE IP cam and the other is a POE IP cam with a Sd slot to store data.
    For now - you can easily pop an SD card in the model that supports it. You can add that camera to your network, record to SD only (perhaps on motion or event), and add it to Hik Connect. The Hik Connect app is flexible allowing cameras from multiple sites to be displayed simultaneously in the same multiscreen layout. You can then just save that screen as a Favourite and it will appear as a shortcut in the app.

Thank you for your response they are both very good options. I think I'll go with option 2 for the mean time and in the future I'll upgrade the dvr and use the old hard drive.

Thanks again.

Tek

Back