01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision NVR - External Power Supply dies

I have a DS-7604NI-K1/4P NVR, fitted with a 3TB HDD and 4x 5MP turret camera’s.

Over the past few days the 48v external power supply gets very hot until it cuts out completely. It won’t power back up until the PSU has cooled down. When I power it up again with all 4x camera’s connected it will shut down again within an hour. When all cameras are unplugged the NVR stays on permanently. I’ve connected 1, 2 and now 3 camera’s (in different combinations) and it’s staying powered on although hot. So it seems when all 4x camera’s are connected the power supply / transformer shuts off.

Any ideas why this is happening? Faulty power supply? Faulty Ethernet cables? Faulty cameras? Prior to this all cameras worked perfectly and there’s plenty of space around the NVR for air circulation.

Thanks.

I've never heard of this before.
Well Done for the logical tests.
As you suggest it could be either a weak supply or too much load.

As I've never come across either before, my gut feeling would be the cabling & connections.
Are you able to fetch the cameras back local to the NVR, connect them with short, (shop-bought) patch leads and test.

Three out of four would be relatively easy to bring local to the NVR. I bought a reel of cat 5 cable, RJ45 connectors with a crimping tool included. Obviously the crimping tool won’t be the best quality but the fact I’m getting good video with all four cameras I assume the wiring is all correct. If the cheap crimping tool didn’t fully / adequately terminate all the tiny cables would this cause too much load?

Poor joints / poor cable could cause higher resistance, which would cause more current to be drawn.

Would this be highlighted in the power being used for each camera? Typically each between 3.4 to 4.4W?

Is that what it's indicating?

I believe it should be capable of supplying up to 15.4 Watts per camera without problems.

Back