01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HikVision nvr POE ports not working?

gnesper

Good morning everyone.
My Hikvision nvr model HWN-4108MH-8P (8 poe ports) does not turn on/feed the two poe ipcams in my possession.
One is branded Reolink and the second is a SIMICAM.
The same ipcams I can turn them on by connecting them to an external TP-LINK POE switch.
Is there a way to understand if the poe ports of the nvr are broken or if it is a different power problem between that requested by the ipcam and that supplied by the nvr?

Thank you

Hi @gnesper

The PoE ports on the NVR are probably not broken it is more likely that as 3rd-party cameras they will not be supported as Plug & Play cameras on the built-in PoE ports.

To connect 3rd-party cameras directly to the NVR PoE ports you will need to first connect the cameras to the TP-Link PoE switch, open the cameras in a browser or find them with an IP Utility Tool, change the camera's IP address and gateway to match the NVRs subnet range (check the NVRs network settings to confirm this but probably 192.168.254.xxx), save those details and then reconnect the camera to the NVR PoE ports.

Once connected you will need to go into the NVRs Camera Management page and switch the corresponding channel (e.g. D1 is port 1) to Manual rather than Plug & Play. Finally, you need to click edit/modify for that channel and change the IP address, user name, and password to match what you set on the camera when it was connected to the TP-lInk switch.

As you can see this process is quite complicated and as they are 3rd-party cameras you will not be able to login to them directly once they are plugged into the NVR PoE ports. We usually recommend that 3rd-party cameras should be installed on a separate switch and then added to the NVR over the local network because that way they have their own LAN IP address which means you can log in to the cameras individually to adjust camera-specific settings and update firmware.

I did as you advised me: I set the first ip address indicated in the poe channels of the nvr to the ipcam. I also set the same password of the nvr, but the poe port continues to remain off. What protocol should I set to the ip cam?

Attachments

• Cattura.JPG
    Cattura.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 599
Hi @gnesper

If ReoLink and/or SIMICAM don't appear in the protocol list, use ONVIF instead.

nothing to do ... it does not detect it and the port LEDs do not light up

Attachments

• Cattura2.JPG
    Cattura2.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @gnesper

Can you go to the NVR network settings and confirm the NVRs "Internal network card IPv4 address"?

If that address is definitely 192.168.254.1 then the only other things that might be causing an issue would be:

Strong Password - when you set the password for the camera(s) was it strong? Did it include at least 3 of the following characters - lowercase, uppercase, numbers, or special characters?

ONVIF - Some camera brands do not have ONVIF enabled by default, you may need to get the camera back on a separate PoE switch and log back into to check for ONVIF settings that may need to be enabled.

(you may have to locate the user manuals for the specific camera models you have to find out where those settings might be)

Hi @Dan
I confirm that the internal ipv4 address of nvr is 192.168.254.1 (picture1).
The camera's password is strong, it includes lowercase, uppercase, numbers and one special character.
I can confirm that Reolink is Onvif compatible and you can see the ip address (192.168.254.10 ) is in the same range ad nvr (picture2).
The problem I have isn't in the configuration part (infact, I can make it work without any problem through external poe switch) but when I connect the ipcam directly to the nvr's poe ports.
As you can see in the picture3, in the port1 there's connected the ipcam poe but there's no lights on, as if there wasn't nothing connected
meanwhile in the port4 there's a switch connectec and the lights turns on without problem.
To me it seems like the nvr can't turn on the device connected, but it works only like a classical switch.
I want to know if the poe ports are malfunctioning or the ports light turn on only it connect a original hikvision ipcam poe.
I had a simil nvr (not hikvision) with poe ports and all ports lights turn on when connected to any ipcam poe (even different brands)

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 481
  • picture2.JPG
    picture2.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 422
  • picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 536
Hi @gnesper

You hadn't mentioned the switch being plugged into the NVR PoE ports.

Some Hikvision NVRs (not sure about consumer HiLook/HiWatch models like yours) can support having a switch connected to the PoE ports, but when you do this it disables the other PoE ports on the NVR.

If you unplug the camera and switch and then reconnect the camera it will probably power the camera without a problem (although you may have to go into the NVRs PoE port settings and re-enable power to the ports).

If you want to have some cameras connected via a separate switch, that switch needs to be connected to the local network and not directly to the NVR. You can then assign local network IP addresses to each camera on the switch and manually add them to the NVR over the local network.

(I should also point out that in the first screenshot of your network settings, it looks like your IP address & gateway address are on different ranges - 192.168.0.xxx & 192.168.1.xxx - I'm not sure which is the correct range so you are probably best off enabling DHCP at the top of the page, save settings, and then once the network details have changed you can disable DHCP and save settings again)

I tried to connected only ipcam to the nvr's poe ports (without external switch) but the lights remain off and the poe ports settings are enable (picture1).
Don't worry about the ip configuration, it was just a test without internet

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 448
okay,

As you have been fiddling around with the PoE/channel settings I think the final thing to try would be hard resetting the NVR.

If the PoE port is still not showing any life after resetting then there might be a fault with the port.

I just did it.
After doing the first configuration, still no sign of life coming from poe ports.
In the picture you can see that there's not power going out, it makes me think there is something wrong with nvr.
What do you think?

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 354
If you are plugging cameras into that port and you are not seeing any PoE power being used then that probably suggests a fault, we would recommend speaking to the supplier you bought it from.

ok, that's what I think too. I think I'll try to do one last test with an original HikVision poe camera (I still intended to buy it anyway). thanks for the suggestions

support having a switch connected to the PoE ports, but when you do this it disables the other PoE ports on the NVR.
It won't disable them as such and all ports are still active. It's just that if you connect a switch to port 1 and that switch has 4 cameras on it:

1 - The 4 cameras obviously have to have addresses in the same range of the internal NIC (192.168.254.xxx)
2 - You have to edit the details of 4 of the NVR ports manually to reflect the IP addresses of those 4 cameras - even though only one of the ports has a physical cable connection (to the switch)

It won't disable them as such and all ports are still active. It's just that if you connect a switch to port 1 and that switch has 4 cameras on it:

1 - The 4 cameras obviously have to have addresses in the same range of the internal NIC (192.168.254.xxx)
2 - You have to edit the details of 4 of the NVR ports manually to reflect the IP addresses of those 4 cameras - even though only one of the ports has a physical cable connection (to the switch)
Forgive me but the problem is not the configuration or detection of the ipcam by the nvr... The problem is that the poe ports of the nvr do not turn on the poe camera. The poe ports turn on only if I connect a Switch while if I connect a poe ipcam they remain off

Forgive me but the problem is not the configuration or detection of the ipcam by the nvr... The problem is that the poe ports of the nvr do not turn on the poe camera. The poe ports turn on only if I connect a Switch while if I connect a poe ipcam they remain off
Yeah I realised that. The comment was more in response to the quote by Dan rather than about the issue you're seeing. As you've already said plugging in a Hikvision IP cam should prove whether the PoE of the NVR is faulty or that the cameras are somehow incompatible with the PoE specifications of the NVR.

Did you manage to find out what was the issue? I'm having exactly the same trouble. Hikvision NVR and Hikvision H140 camera.

Back