01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision Power-over-coax - Can these cameras be used on a non PoC nvr?

DigicapDave

Hi

I install and fix a lot of Hikvision stuff, and have a client who needs their current NVR replaced with something more powerful and with more drive bays.

Our standard install is either a 7332HQHI-K4 or 7732NI-14B and at first glance the existing NVR looked like a basic small Hikvision unit until I realised the voltage was 48v and uses power over coax which is something I haven't seen before. The existing cameras are fine and the owner wanted to keep them and add some more IP cameras making 8 in total.

Is there a PoC injector or adapter I can use for these 4 existing cameras to connect to a new Hikvision NVR, or a way of feeding in the existing NVR feeds into the new NVR via onvif?

The existing cameras are in very difficult to reach locations and although this isn't a problem for me, I would rather not replace them if I can avoid it. The picture is pretty good considering that they are of the older coaxial type.

We here at use-IP have so little experience with modern co-ax based solutions.
I have not seen any gadgets that send PoC power.
Hopefully, others with more experience will advise shortly if they do exist ...

If the DVR is 8channel you can run 4 IP cameras by changing the output to IP on the DVR
and use a POE switch for the cameras

If the DVR is 8channel you can run 4 IP cameras by changing the output to IP on the DVR
and use a POE switch for the cameras
I think the issue is the existing PoC cameras are to remain and only have coax to them currently. Several years ago there was a Hikvision 4 channel unit where you could link the inputs of a standard non PoC DVR through. It had a power supply and would send the power up the coax. I've not seen one listed with any supplier that I use for a while.

You can't connect the PoC HDTVi cameras to an NVR, only a DVR (I realise DVR/NVR are often incorrectly used interchangeably). If you can get away with a 16 channel DVR, you could use the IDS-7216HUHI-M2/P(C). Connect the existing PoC cameras to that and switch the unused channels to IP. I can't confirm how many IP cameras you could add but I think that DVR allows connection of 8 IP cameras plus the unused analogue ones that are switched to IP so maybe 16.

There are injectors available Dahua PFM810 POC to Coaxial Video+Power Converter Kit for…

Installation would be a little ugly with a few cables & psus etc, but I have had an idea which may work as an alternative.

Leave existing unit in place and remove hard disk - disable alerts - disable hik-connect - enable onvif.

Add the onvif streams of the 4 cameras to the new NVR and let this record the streaming, assuming that a hikvision onvif stream is perfectly understandable by a hikvision nvr ....

Can't think of any reason this wouldn't work. A bonus would be a dual-lan nvr so the onvif streams have their own network.

Back