01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hikvision PTZ - continual pan after tracking

simonfr

Hey! I recently bought a Hikvision Mini-PTZ (DS-2DE4A225IW-DE) which I'm having a slight problem with. Sometimes (and more often than not) after zooming in on and tracking a vehicle the camera will just sit and pan back and forward (left to right to left to right etc). It will typically do this until the "Duration" for Smart Tracking has been reached. The camera will then return to the park position.
It's incredibly frustrating though. I was expecting that after the target object had moved out of range the camera would just stop trying to track altogether and remain motionless for X seconds (as defined in "Park Action"). But it doesn't. This period of time where it scans back and forward continuously over a zoomed in section of the scene prevents the Park Action from kicking in.
Have I got a dud, or have I configured it incorrectly? Any and all advice appreciated.

Step 1 - Is your camera running the latest available firmware?
(check their portal)

Seems to be. The firmware on the camera is "V5.5.71 build 180725" (for Model DS-2DE4A225IW-DE). However, looking at the Hikvision UK&Ireland site the version they have is "Baseline Firmware_IPD_V5.5.0_170724(DExxxxW,DFxxxxxW)" which would appear to be an earlier version, or a base version. I'm not sure where to find a later version other than here :

Thanks Dan/Phil for the direction. I’ll try an update and post back if I’m still seeing the issue. It’s an awesome camera apart from this issue so hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

So the firmware process was relatively straightforward and I've confirmed it has applied correctly. However, the issue described appears to persist. I've only had a couple of events since updating, so I'll monitor over tomorrow and see how it goes. Cheers :)

So one week on and the behaviour is still as described despite the firmware update, and some changes to the settings to try and add "limits" to prevent the back and forth scanning after an object has moved out of view. Has anyone seen this behaviour before and can suggest some settings I might need to look at? TIA.

I've also seen this issue on a DS-2DE4A425IW-DE. It's very difficult to pinpoint what is causing this and I can't see a pattern that leads to the left right left right panning. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have smart tracking triggered from both line crossings and region entrance events.

Thanks Farbo. I have "Smart Tracking" enabled, but it's always on and not triggered as a result of events (like the ones you describe). Do you think triggering it from events improves matters? Or are you still having the issue?

Nope, I only have smart tracking triggered from events and this issue still happens frequently. It could be coincidence but every time I've seen it happen there was something else moving in the shot (like a tree branch or a car) seperate from the original tracked object. Have you changed your zoom ratio on the smart tracking page? I've set mine to zoom in fairly close which sometimes causes the camera to lose the object while aggressively zooming in, so perhaps it's a less tested setting.

Back