01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

HiLook camera and DVR - Interference on sound playback?

Sally

Hi, I’ve had my cctv installed since May, just recently I’ve noticed the sound quality has significantly reduced on the camera fitted with sound. There is a lot of interference and crackling now which wasn’t there when first installed.
I’m a complete novice so laymen’s terms please for any advice on improving it.

Hi @Sally

Can you provide more details of the system you have installed?
What camera and NVR models do you have installed?

If there's interference and crackling this is likely to be a HDTVi analogue camera and DVR. Wind noise can be a bit of a pain but crackling/background 'whine' would point to noise picked up on the coax or twisted pair. I've had this happen when CAT5E is used and the 12V DC supply to the camera is in the same cable as the video pair.

If there's interference and crackling this is likely to be a HDTVi analogue camera and DVR. Wind noise can be a bit of a pain but crackling/background 'whine' would point to noise picked up on the coax or twisted pair. I've had this happen when CAT5E is used and the 12V DC supply to the camera is in the same cable as the video pair.
Thanks for your reply, but need it explaining a little more simply please - what is a CAT5E?

Thanks for your reply, but need it explaining a little more simply please - what is a CAT5E?
CAT5E is a standard computer network cable with 4 pairs of wires inside. Your recorder will have BNC coaxial connections on the rear (silver round twist fit connections). Your cameras signal is usually supplied by a coaxial cable (resembles an aerial cable/sky TV cable) and a separate power cable. However it’s fairly standard practice to use a CAT5E cable. The benefit is that the cables are smaller/more manageable. Also the video and power can be carried in the same cable (using 2 of the 4 pairs - 1 for power, 1 for video). It will be clear if this is the case by looking behind your recorder as you’ll see the connections to the recorder leading to small devices called ‘baluns’ into which the CAT5E cable is connected (these devices convert the signal from balanced to un balanced). Sometimes there can be interference when multiple cameras are transmitted in one cable.

CAT5E is a standard computer network cable with 4 pairs of wires inside. Your recorder will have BNC coaxial connections on the rear (silver round twist fit connections). Your cameras signal is usually supplied by a coaxial cable (resembles an aerial cable/sky TV cable) and a separate power cable. However it’s fairly standard practice to use a CAT5E cable. The benefit is that the cables are smaller/more manageable. Also the video and power can be carried in the same cable (using 2 of the 4 pairs - 1 for power, 1 for video). It will be clear if this is the case by looking behind your recorder as you’ll see the connections to the recorder leading to small devices called ‘baluns’ into which the CAT5E cable is connected (these devices convert the signal from balanced to un balanced). Sometimes there can be interference when multiple cameras are transmitted in one cable.
Thanks JB, that makes sense. If this is the case, would it suddenly develop the interference noise after a couple of months? And if this is why what’s the best remedy to fix it?

Thanks JB, that makes sense. If this is the case, would it suddenly develop the interference noise after a couple of months? And if this is why what’s the best remedy to fix it?
When I had the issue on an installation, the noise was there immediately. Audio hadn't been a requirement for the job so it was just disabled.

Where are you hearing the noise? Is it through your phone app, the monitor/TV connected to the DVR, or both? If you're hearing it only on the TV/monitor that could point to the DVR, TV/Monitor or the HDMI connection between them. I'd recommend you speak to your installer about it. It could be a poor connection or the camera itself could be at fault. The camera could easily be proven by removing it temporarily from its installed location and connecting it directly to the recorder on a short lead to see if the noise remains.

I will need to check on the monitor, I’ve only noticed it on my iPad and mobile phone

I will need to check on the monitor, I’ve only noticed it on my iPad and mobile phone
I'm sure if you hear it on your mobile devices, you'll also hear it when sound is enabled on the monitor.

Back