01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Honeywell HC35WB8R3 camera with Home Assistant

nickmbell

I have recently installed a Honeywell HC35WB8R3 camera to work alongside Home Assistant for home security purposes.

It replaced an ageing Hikvision bullet camera which did not have SD Card storage, and refused to store footage onto my NAS. I also wanted to move to an NDAA compliant camera if at all possible. My first purchase (not from USE-IP) was a Vivotek IB9380-H camera which would not "behave" at all, so that went back for a refund !

The Honeywell HC35WB8R3 camera which I subseqently purchased from USE-IP worked straight out of the box, but did require a firmware update to make its functionality more stable. The support that I received from Kyle at USE-IP was second to none, and I now have a camera that I am very happy with. I currently store alarm footage on the internal SC Card, triggered by the camera's "Smart Motion" detection which I find to be predictable day and night.

Using the ONVIF integration within Home Assistant, I am also using this motion detection to control outside lights (in place of a seperate PIR detector) as well as providing a "ping" to my phone when someone is on the drive. I can also view live stream footage on the Home Assistant dashboard.

I may look to use Home Assistant to push the alarm footage to my NAS in the future, but I need to read up further on the Home Assistant filesystem functionality to enable that !

All in all I am very happy with the camera, the picture quality, field of view and general stability of the setup including the Home Assistant integration is great.

The quality of technical support provided by USE-IP was the icing on the cake.

Back