01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How can I gain remote access to my cameras, for remote configuration?

PaulS

How can I gain remote access to cameras?
I use a day and a night configuration to get the best images I can at night, and these switch at programmed times-of-day. As the length of day changes I manually alter the switch times every 10 days-or-so.
I need to do this remotely but cannot find anywhere on HikConnect to achieve remote access; what am I missing?
TIA, Paul.

How can I gain remote access to cameras?
I use a day and a night configuration to get the best images I can at night, and these switch at programmed times-of-day. As the length of day changes I manually alter the switch times every 10 days-or-so.
I need to do this remotely but cannot find anywhere on HikConnect to achieve remote access; what am I missing?
TIA, Paul.
You need to use a web browser to access the camera webpage configuration not Hik Connect. How you do it depends on how your cameras are connected to the network.

@PaulS I had a similar problem and initially solved it using a combination of DDNS and router port forwarding. To secure the connection I then moved to DDNS and my router VPN server.
There are times when I cannot remotely access my home network, this maybe caused by double NATting on mobile phone networks. I am looking into using a VPN matcher service which overcomes this problem.

If I understand, I will need to set up Port Forwarding on my router for each (of my 23) cameras and give each a DDNS Address?
I can see how this would work for cameras connected to my LAN (remarkably clumsy though it is), but how would this work for cameras connected to the NVR? I can set a Port Forward for the NVR itself, but how to reach the attached cameras?
Appreciate your help, folks....
Paul.

If I understand, I will need to set up Port Forwarding on my router for each (of my 23) cameras and give each a DDNS Address?
I can see how this would work for cameras connected to my LAN (remarkably clumsy though it is), but how would this work for cameras connected to the NVR? I can set a Port Forward for the NVR itself, but how to reach the attached cameras?
Appreciate your help, folks....
Paul.
Normally you would have 1 WAN public IP address and the DDNS service associates with that. If all your cameras are connected to the NVR then you only need to forward the port to the NVR. This would give you access (using internet explorer) to live view / playback / config, You may not be able to config using smartphone / tablets.

I think HikConnect bypasses the need for port forwarding but makes you reliant on external 3rd party servers. Hikconnect has let me down several times so I rely on my own network setup.

Normally you would have 1 WAN public IP address and the DDNS service associates with that. If all your cameras are connected to the NVR then you only need to forward the port to the NVR. This would give you access (using internet explorer) to live view / playback / config, You may not be able to config using smartphone / tablets.
That's correct. What you can do though additionally, is port forward the ports that virtual host uses to allow access over the WAN to the cameras via the NVR. So if you port forward the usual ports (http, RTSP, server) along with 65001 - 65004 (or 65008, 650016 depending on how many cameras are in use). That will then allow access to configure the cameras. IE http://mycctvsystem.dyndns.com:65003 for camera 3

I think HikConnect bypasses the need for port forwarding but makes you reliant on external 3rd party servers. Hikconnect has let me down several times so I rely on my own network setup.
It can. There tends to be a bit of confusion between HikConnect - the app and HikConnect - the service. The HikConnect service will allow use with UPnP and not require port forwarding but it doesn't work quite as well that way. The HikConnect service can be used with the HikConnect app as well as iVMS-4500 app and iVMS-4200 software. I agree that the HikConnect service can be flakey and it accounts for many of the posts on this forum. The service is a necessary evil if you want to receive push notifications unfortunately. Otherwise you can just use the HikConnect app with the IP/Domain to connect.

@JB1970 I imagine the Hikconnect servers are over subscribed. I used eziviz and that was poor at best, Hikconnect is no better. Its a "free" service and you get what you (don't) pay for.
I use camera / NVR email notifications and connect to my VPN server to view etc. More secure, better reliability and stability.

Back