01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How should I optimise the image settings on my Hikvision ds-2cd2347g2-lu IP camera?

badayuni92

I have just had a hikvision ds-2cd2347g2-lu system installed.

The installer has left all the settings on default. I need help in what the best settings would be to tweak on one of my front cameras. The issue is the image looks washed out particularly beyond my property towards the road. This is even worse when the street lights come on at night.

I've included a picture which hopefully shows the issue. Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Attachments

• 20210806131933207_368c10cde87e465fb98be7fe786ad11f_F15064437.jpg
    20210806131933207_368c10cde87e465fb98be7fe786ad11f_F15064437.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 417
I have just had a hikvision ds-2cd2347g2-lu system installed.

The installer has left all the settings on default. I need help in what the best settings would be to tweak on one of my front cameras. The issue is the image looks washed out particularly beyond my property towards the road. This is even worse when the street lights come on at night.

I've included a picture which hopefully shows the issue. Any help would be gratefully appreciated
Post a night pic as well. To be honest that doesn't look bad to me - just the light reflecting off the road surface. You don't want to adjust the image settings to improve the image beyond your property at the expense of spoiling the image of your drive and entrance. You could try adjusting contrast and Wide Dynamic Range. There's no magic settings and every scene is different - just note the initial values so that you can put it back if it doesn't suit.

Post a night pic as well. To be honest that doesn't look bad to me - just the light reflecting off the road surface. You don't want to adjust the image settings to improve the image beyond your property at the expense of spoiling the image of your drive and entrance. You could try adjusting contrast and Wide Dynamic Range. There's no magic settings and every scene is different - just note the initial values so that you can put it back if it doesn't suit.
Amazing thanks for your help. Do you know does the auto wdr a actually work on this camera with the latest firmware

These are night shots. Is there anything you would suggest to improve the scene? Ideally any settings I change I would like to not adversely effect the day time footage

All the settings are default

Wdr off
Hlc off
Blc off

Contrast 50
Sharpness 50
Color 50

Dnr auto mode at 50

Exposure time 1/75

Color vu light is on at 50

Attachments

• 20210810214753472_bc118b461346426d8fe070bd1ff4c2ae_F15064437.jpg
    20210810214753472_bc118b461346426d8fe070bd1ff4c2ae_F15064437.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 20210810214643723_368c10cde87e465fb98be7fe786ad11f_F15064437.jpg
    20210810214643723_368c10cde87e465fb98be7fe786ad11f_F15064437.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 454
These are night shots. Is there anything you would suggest to improve the scene? Ideally any settings I change I would like to not adversely effect the day time footage

All the settings are default

Wdr off
Hlc off
Blc off

Contrast 50
Sharpness 50
Color 50

Dnr auto mode at 50

Exposure time 1/75

Color vu light is on at 50
I think the images look fine. Try playing with the contrast slider - drop it a little and see how it looks. Dropping the contrast usually lightens the shadow areas a bit but don't go too far or the daytime image will start to look washed out.

With regard to your other query regarding Auto WDR setting, I've not looked at that recently. I could be completely wrong in my interpretation of how it's supposed to work. In an ideal world (and in my opinion), when set to Auto the camera should analyse the scene for clipped bright or dark areas. It should then apply WDR and the effect should be capped at the level set with the slider. But it never worked that way. I found that if I set it to Auto and level 1 it would apply excessive WDR (equivalent to setting at about 50 in manual mode) and would negatively affect a previously faultless image.

I think the images look fine. Try playing with the contrast slider - drop it a little and see how it looks. Dropping the contrast usually lightens the shadow areas a bit but don't go too far or the daytime image will start to look washed out.

With regard to your other query regarding Auto WDR setting, I've not looked at that recently. I could be completely wrong in my interpretation of how it's supposed to work. In an ideal world (and in my opinion), when set to Auto the camera should analyse the scene for clipped bright or dark areas. It should then apply WDR and the effect should be capped at the level set with the slider. But it never worked that way. I found that if I set it to Auto and level 1 it would apply excessive WDR (equivalent to setting at about 50 in manual mode) and would negatively affect a previously faultless image.

Thanks for all your help. I don't suppose you have a guide on how to set up the white light to only come on with motion

Thanks for all your help. I don't suppose you have a guide on how to set up the white light to only come on with motion
It's not something I've used, I have the white light disabled on mine. However, if you log in to the camera directly via virtual host there's an additional option to tick in the event "linkage method" that's not visible when configuring events from the NVR. You could try that - not sure if you set it to off elsewhere then tick that as an action it will bring it on.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 18.55.45.png

this is not possible... if you want something like that you need an active deterrence camera

thatswhy many use IR-cameras.. they dont want a bright LED the whole night...
It is....though it is firmware and model dependant (fairly sure it is possible on the new (c) revision G5 platform cameras). @badayuni92 is referring (I believe) to activating the white light on the ColorVu to aid exposure when motion is detected, as opposed to using a flashing light deterrent. That would allow the camera to use a shorter exposure time, reducing the motion blur associated with low light and slow shutter speeds. The active deterrence cameras or live guard as they will be known have a flashing light.

though it is firmware and model dependant

yes and this is the problem. In my opinion the firmware isnt released (i can be wrong) and its only supported with C version ... Uk sellers have many non C versions and some continue to stock them. so if you buy in UK the change to get G3 platform model is high.

this guy here was already asking for help on ipct ... same questions and he got many answers.
first he had some colorvu hilook models with the same problems, then he pay someone to install this model, but didnt pay for configuration. same problems... got good advices on ipct for configuration, but he didnt listen, still running with fixed shutter/gain auto mode / wdr and ask why camera is washed out.
he want one camera which covers street and entry, but the street is much brighter than the entry. lol

he dont understand, dont want to listen and dont want to read.

i lived many years in uk and these problems with people of indian community are not new to me.. always the same shit to deal with.

Last edited:
It's not something I've used, I have the white light disabled on mine. However, if you log in to the camera directly via virtual host there's an additional option to tick in the event "linkage method" that's not visible when configuring events from the NVR. You could try that - not sure if you set it to off elsewhere then tick that as an action it will bring it on.

View attachment 6385
@badayuni92 I can confirm it does work on the existing G2 ColorVu cameras that run G3 firmware (DS-2CD2347G2-LU - 5.5.160). As mentioned it needs to be set in the cameras own menu as it's not accessible from the NVR.

First in image settings you check that Smart Supplement Light is set to On AND Supplement Light Mode is set to Off. That disables the light coming on when it's dark but leaves it available for use on alarm.

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 21.57.55.png

Then you set the White Light option to On for your selected alarm in the trigger actions (I used line crossing in the below) and set the dwell time for the light to remain on after activation.

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 22.03.32.png

I've got five of the G1 versions and there's no reason not to have those options. Hik really needs to update the firmware for the G1's to allow those capabilities.

I've got five of the G1 versions and there's no reason not to have those options. Hik really needs to update the firmware for the G1's to allow those capabilities.
It does seem little strange that it's not possible on the G1's. I've never used the integral LED before, preferring to leave it completely off and use a low power LED dusk to dawn light in the area which allows me to get a decent image at 1/100 sec or faster. However, I did notice while messing around last night that if I add the LED on alarm function, when triggered I get a much cleaner, image free of visible noise that's not possible with the dusk to dawn light alone. I'll probably keep it set that way now.

With the whole debacle around the existing G2 models (G3 firmware) no longer receiving updates beyond 5.6.5 I can't see the G1's getting much attention (though they're already on 5.6.6). I've yet to see a G5 firmware model (DS-2CD2347G2-LU (c))

Last edited:
I don't see that "White Light" option under "Linkage Method".
Running V5.5.5.801 build 210727 on a G5.

I don't see that "White Light" option under "Linkage Method".
Running V5.5.5.801 build 210727 on a G5.
I’ve just loaded that version on one of mine a few minutes ago and the option has been removed again.

5.5.801 is not yet on the uk or eu portal - I downloaded it from the Hikvision global site. However I installed eight of them earlier today with the latest version available here in the uk which is 5.5.114 and they do have the option - I’ve just checked.

Back