01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect How to access cameras via the NVR?

dbrewood

Centurion!
Trusted Member
Okay a bit off topic here, a networking query. Hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself over networking can help. My cameras are on a separate network hosted on the NVR (192.168.254.x) from my main network. The main network is 192.168.1.x with the NVR itself being 192.168.1.77. To try to access the cameras from the main network I've put in place a static route on the router sending all traffic for each camera to go via the NVR (see attached), but when I look to validate the RTSP steam via VLC (rtsp://192.168.254.4/Streaming/Channels/103/ it is unable to connect. Any assistance as to what I need to do / change would be appreciated.
Screenshot 2022-10-07 at 08.18.44.jpg

The reason for needing this is that I'm looking to get the cameras working with Scrypted and can't access via the NVR as that looks like it won't allow access to the third stream via the NVR so I need to access the cameras directly......

What is weirder still I can access the web UI for the camera located at http://192.168.254.4:65003/ with no problems at all.

Last edited:
I've also tried changing the subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 (i.e /24) it makes no difference at all.

Upvote 0
It's a long shot workaround, but if you are running Scrypted on a device that can be dual LAN and you have a spare camera port on your NVR that you don't plan to use, then you can make a LAN connection to the spare camera port and be 'on the same network' as the cameras ...

Upvote 0
Oh that would likely work but.... the NVR is upstairs in my wifes office and NAS is inside my desk in the dining room, total opposite end of the house. They are joined via my Orbi mesh router system, and the Orbis are linked via Ethernet cabling fitted in trunking which goes runs externally round the house (carries the camera Ethernet as well).

So yeah, no chance of running more cabling to achieve something similar to what you suggest, no spare cameras either. So I think I'll stay as is.

In fact I've just had to disable Scrypted completely as it turns out it does over stress the NAS and causes my forum to generate errors and some posts can't be read.

One thing I'm going to look at is whether Surveillance Station on the NAS be set to stream only and not record as that would at least give me a secondary way of looking at things (notifications) etc but I'd want to do it without it killing the drives on the NAS.

Upvote 0
Okay a bit off topic here, a networking query. Hoping someone more knowledgeable than myself over networking can help. My cameras are on a separate network hosted on the NVR (192.168.254.x) from my main network. The main network is 192.168.1.x with the NVR itself being 192.168.1.77. To try to access the cameras from the main network I've put in place a static route on the router sending all traffic for each camera to go via the NVR (see attached), but when I look to validate the RTSP steam via VLC (rtsp://192.168.254.4/Streaming/Channels/103/ it is unable to connect. Any assistance as to what I need to do / change would be appreciated.
View attachment 8237

The reason for needing this is that I'm looking to get the cameras working with Scrypted and can't access via the NVR as that looks like it won't allow access to the third stream via the NVR so I need to access the cameras directly......

What is weirder still I can access the web UI for the camera located at http://192.168.254.4:65003/ with no problems at all.
Can you clarify something for me please? my interpretation of the above is:
- you have "network connected" cameras (so connected to a PoE switch) which is on your home network with IP Range 192.168.1.xx & then manually added to your NVR?
- your camera IP addresses are set to the Range hosted by your NVR, 192.168.254.x?
- Your NVR is LAN connected to your Home Network & its IP address is 192.168.1.77 (home network IP Range)?
- and you are able to manually add the cameras to a channel of your NVR?
I would image this is not possible

From my experience you would need to configure the Camera's IP address to be within the Range of your Home Network (192.168.1.xx)
Then Manually add the Camera to a Channel of the NVR. (on the NVR GUI/IP Camera)
- Select the NVR Channel & Click Edit (for this example assume you have selected channel 4)
- Adding Method: choose Manual
- IP Camera Address: 192.168.1.xx (Configured to your home network Range
- Protocol: HIKVISION (assuming it is)
- Port: 8000 (assuming it is)
- Channel Port: 1
- Transfer Protocol: Auto
- Camera User Name: (used to log into the Camera) default is admin
- Camera Password: (used to log into the Camera) <for this example Password is 1234567>
Click OK
If everything is correct, he Camera Image should appear on Channel 4

To access the RTSP Feed of a Hikvision NVR Connected Camera (via VLC Player etc) you will need to use the following RTSP address format:
rtsp://<NVR IP address> : <RTSP Port>/Streaming/Channels/<id>

So for the Camera in the above scenario the RTSP address should be:
rtsp://192.168.1.77:554/Streaming/Channels/401

IP - is your NVR
Port - is the RTSP Port, Default is 554
id - 401 means NVR Channel 4 & Video Stream 01 (Mainstream) if you entered 402 you would be requesting the Channel 4 Substream Image

If this fails you may need to include the Camera Login Credentials before the IP address, like so
rtsp://<Username> : <password> @ <NVR IP address> : <RTSP Port> /Streaming/Channels/<id>

So in the above example, it should read as following
rtsp://admin:1234567@192.168.1.77:554/Streaming/Channels/401

Upvote 0
The cameras when installed (by a third party installer) were installed automatically so are on the NVR network not the home network.
In the end I gave up on using the third stream and just used the second stream and brought that into Homebridge / HomeKit.

Upvote 0
Back