01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to get HikVision camera working with non-HikVision NVR? [SOLVED]

codlord

Gives a lot of help
Trusted Member
I have always used one brand cameras/NVRs so have no experience with this and would appreciate advice.

An XVision NVR was working fine with a single HikVision ANPR camera. The camera went faulty and I was asked to configure a new one and replace. But I did not know beforehand it was an XVision NVR.

So I setup the new camera with the same network parameters and the same username/password that the NVR was using. Plugged it in and it didn't work of course (network connection error) becuase the NVR is trying to connect via ONVIF.

So I worked out that under the camera "Integration Protocol" I needed to "Enable Open Video Interface" and change the auth method from "digest" to the less secure option (I forget the name of it). I also then created a user (of type Administrator) in the "Integration Protocol" "User List". Hit save and the camera feed in the NVR immediately changed from "network connection error" to "Invalid username or password".

So I am getting somewhere but even when I 100% check/set the username/password correctly in the NVR connection settings and the Integration Protocol User List all I ever get on the NVR is "Invalid username or password".

Is there something else I need to do?

Hi @codlord

We have no experience with XVision NVRs either, so all we can recommend are some general things that we usually talk about when adding to 3rd-party NVRs.

Were you able to log in to the old Hikvision camera to confirm the username & password it was using? For some NVR models, the username and password for cameras can be different to the NVRs log-in user & password.

If you are adding the Hikvision camera as a "Manual/ONVIF" camera, you should have already activated the camera with a username & password before connecting it to the NVR, you should have the option when you come to add the channel/camera to the NVR to enter that username & password that you activated the camera with.

Can you please share some screenshots of what you are seeing in the XVision menus?

Thanks @Dan here is the XVision camera connect settings.

I tried with the users existing username and password first, then I tried with the following:

HikVision Camera actual user: admin/TestPassword
AND
HikVision Integration protocol user (of type Administrator): admin/TestPassword

And then entered admin/TestPassword in the XVision connection settings but still "username or password error".

I was assuming the XVision was only trying to connect to the HikVision configured "Integration protocol user" and that the the actual HikVision camera users/passwords were irrelevant for ONVIF but as I said I setup both the same anyway...

temp_xvision.jpg

Thanks @codlord

To double-check, are you trying to connect this Hikvision camera directly to the PoE ports on the NVR?

Can you please share a screenshot of the NVR Network settings?

@Dan, no, the camera is not connected directly to the NVR, it's on a PoE switch. Here is the HikVision camera settings. This was before I added the second ONVIF user (admin/TestPassword) and also I had to change the second "digest" option to the other option which is something like "Digest&ws-username". So with "digest" I get the "network connection error" but when it's changed to the other option I get the "username or password error" which to me seems like the NVR is attempting an ONVIF login but it's failing for some reason even though username/password is correct.

IMG_20240709_094752.jpg

This is now solved, it appears that the "invalid username and password" error was a red herring. Despite the XVision NVR working with an older HikVision ANPR Camera, the NVR was giving the error with the newer HikVision ANPR camera.

The user just had to change their NVR custom protocol settings - specifically setting the stream path to "streaming/channels/101".

I am not sure what the NVR streaming channel was before with the old ANPR camera but it would appear that HikVision changed the camera streaming path between the two camera versions/firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
Back