01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Illegal login exceptions - Russian hackers?

AndyoSurrey

Hi,
This morning I noticed the alarm symbol on my admin screen go red when nothing was happening and I saw that there was a whole bunch of illegal login exceptions. Looking into the log detail I had 16 attempts of a few per second (so I assume something automated) to try to get admin access to my NVR. The log detail lists the IP address of the incoming attempt as 193.106.151.251.

I Googled the geo location of this address and it would appear to be a region of Russia. I guess clever hackers can spoof IP addresses but anyway the mere fact that someone is trying to get access to my system is a worry - although my CCTV cameras are all pointed to the outside of my house so not sure what value seeing my front drive would be for example.

I'm reasonably techie but I do not know how to go about blocking off remote access to whatever route this hacking attempt is using to get access to a remote login port.

I did read somewhere that using the iPhone HikConnect client for notifications meant that security is then compromised. I use this a lot so would want to keep that access but maybe I need to do something to secure that better?

Anyway - I am now a bit paranoid that I have hackers targeting my system so if anyone can assist with advice I would be very very grateful

Cheers
Andy

Hi @AndyoSurrey - it sounds like you may have port forwarding configured for remote access to the NVR, but kept these ports as the default.
I'd log into your router and check if ports have been forwarded and if they are the same as explained here, and change those if so:

Also, what NVR do you have and which firmware version is installed on it please?

Ah thanks for pointing to towards this My NVR is a DS760NI-I28P and running the latest firmware of V4.61.025.

No worries, the firmware is the latest as you say, so it's probably the ports :)

This guide might help too for checking these on the NVR:

I prefer to use the Hik-Connect service now with P2P and no port forwarding or UPnP (though using non standard ports I wasn't getting any illegal login attempts). It's probably safest to have no port forwarding and the additional functionality you get from the app when using the service is invaluable (I couldn't manage without the push notifications). I'll use the Hik-Connect service and then also add the site using it's local IP address as a backup in case the service goes flakey (which it does from time to time)

Back