01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Image cycles from clear to blurry about every two seconds. DS-2CD2041G1

Calvinder

This is only on one of my DS-2CD2041G1-IDW1 cameras.
It just started doing this with out any changes in the settings.
All three cameras are configured exactly the same. I even imported settings.
I have tried restoring it to factory settings and re installing firmware with no luck.
Some times if I try to fix it by changing a configuration setting the problem goes away but comes back in about 2 or three minutes.

Another discovery: It only does this if motion detection is enabled.
If I watch live view or playback the video is fine. If I enable motion detection it is fine until there is motion is in the selected areas.
It is the same with all settings in factory mode.
See link Although it is not as noticeable on this YouTube video.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

What firmware version are your cameras currently running?

The latest firmware is v5.5.88 and the release notes for this version says it fixes issues that existed with the previous firmware, so if you are currently running an earlier firmware this new version may resolve the issue you are seeing.

What firmware version are your cameras currently running?

The latest firmware is v5.5.88 and the release notes for this version says it fixes issues that existed with the previous firmware, so if you are currently running an earlier firmware this new version may resolve the issue you are seeing.
Wow I will try that. I looked on the international Hikvision site and the V5.5.82 build 190130 was listed as the latest. Thanks

Well that seemed to make it worse. now it does it all the time :(

Last edited:
It just looks like the I frame update. Out of the box the I frame is set to every 50th frame and the frame rate is 25 frames per second. So every 2 seconds the camera generates a full frame and the frames in between are just the pixels that have changed. It can look better or worse depending on the bit rate and quality setting. You mention that motion seems to set it off. A couple of things I'd check, I'm assuming that these cameras are all connected to an NVR:
  1. Check that the main stream normal and main stream event settings are identical - frames per second and bit rate. A differing bit rate will trigger a change in the image when motion is detected.
  2. Ensure that the bit rate is sufficient for the encoding type and resolution - a bit rate that is too low could make the I frame refresh appear more obvious
  3. I've known the video settings (frame rate, bit rate and quality) to not be applied to the camera after being saved in the NVR. Compare them by logging into the cameras web page configuration.

It just looks like the I frame update. Out of the box the I frame is set to every 50th frame and the frame rate is 25 frames per second. So every 2 seconds the camera generates a full frame and the frames in between are just the pixels that have changed. It can look better or worse depending on the bit rate and quality setting. You mention that motion seems to set it off. A couple of things I'd check, I'm assuming that these cameras are all connected to an NVR:
  1. Check that the main stream normal and main stream event settings are identical - frames per second and bit rate. A differing bit rate will trigger a change in the image when motion is detected.
  2. Ensure that the bit rate is sufficient for the encoding type and resolution - a bit rate that is too low could make the I frame refresh appear more obvious
  3. I've known the video settings (frame rate, bit rate and quality) to not be applied to the camera after being saved in the NVR. Compare them by logging into the cameras web page configuration.
Thanks for the input I have tried many settings and a few times have restored to factory. I can see the main stream normal settings but I don't know what you are referring to as main stream event settings. I have never had luck using a browser to view and change configurations. I use iVMS4200 to do all my camera settings.
Again the thing that bogles my mind is the settings can be identical as my other cameras and this one has this problem.

Thanks for the input I have tried many settings and a few times have restored to factory. I can see the main stream normal settings but I don't know what you are referring to as main stream event settings. I have never had luck using a browser to view and change configurations. I use iVMS4200 to do all my camera settings.
Again the thing that bogles my mind is the settings can be identical as my other cameras and this one has this problem.
Are your cameras connected to a HikVision NVR? If so, in the NVR menu (on a locally connected monitor) > Cameras > Video Parameters you should have a page showing the video settings with Main Stream (Continuous) and Main Stream (Event) at the top - the settings beneath that should match.

I did have a similar issue/glitch with one of my own cameras some time ago and can't remember how I finally resolved it. It was as though the I frame was very heavily compressed or of a lower resolution. Every two seconds when it refreshed, instead of just seeing a slight shift in the pixels, it went completely blocky before recovering and repeating.

I've just noticed I can easily make what you're experiencing happen on two of my own cameras and it's caused by Hik Connect.

I have nine cameras connected to my NVR which is connected to the TV via HDMI. I connect on my phone using the Hik Connect app and Hik Connect method. If I open the app on my phone, all is well - no adverse effects. However I've just opened iVMS 4200 on my PC and as soon as I login to my Hik Connect account in that and start live view, the sub stream images for two of the cameras (both DS-2CD2386G2 AcuSense with firmware 5.5.134) go completely pixelated and blocky with each I frame update on both the iVMS software and on the TV screen (which shows the sub stream). It clears when I stop the stream or log out of iVMS 4200 on the PC.
  • The issue only occurs when I view the streams in iVMS 4200
  • It only happens on the DS-2CD2386 cameras with 5.5.134 all others including a DS-2CD2346 with 5.5.134 loaded are unaffected
The only difference with the two cameras affected is that they are the only two cameras on which I'm using H265+ all the others are H265

Last edited:
I've just noticed I can easily make what you're experiencing happen on two of my own cameras and it's caused by Hik Connect.

I have nine cameras connected to my NVR which is connected to the TV via HDMI. I connect on my phone using the Hik Connect app and Hik Connect method. If I open the app on my phone, all is well - no adverse effects. However I've just opened iVMS 4200 on my PC and as soon as I login to my Hik Connect account in that and start live view, the sub stream images for two of the cameras (both DS-2CD2386G2 AcuSense with firmware 5.5.134) go completely pixelated and blocky with each I frame update on both the iVMS software and on the TV screen (which shows the sub stream). It clears when I stop the stream or log out of iVMS 4200 on the PC.
  • The issue only occurs when I view the streams in iVMS 4200
  • It only happens on the DS-2CD2386 cameras with 5.5.134 all others including a DS-2CD2346 with 5.5.134 loaded are unaffected
The only difference with the two cameras affected is that they are the only two cameras on which I'm using H265+ all the others are H265
Hmm very interesting thanks for putting in so much effort
I also view my cameras directly from the nvr to a hdmi monitor. I only start up iVMS 4200 if I want to change configurations in the cameras. But yes I do use Hikconect
All cameras are running H265 but I have tried the problem cam on H265+ and on H264 with no change. Also now that you brought this up I tried it with all other devices with Hikconect off and the problem is still there.
I just went on the problem cam and disabled platform accesses double checked that is was offline on Hikconect and the problem persists. Even with iVMS4200 shut down.
Also in respect to your previos reply about the NVR I shut it off and viewed the cams via iVMS4200 and he problem is still there.
I think I might (Restore all parameters to default settings) on this cam, take it down and re install it via ethernet connection and see what happens.
Last time I just did the
(Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings.)

Ok, no problem. I rarely use iVMS 4200 to be honest, and when I do I’m connected locally via the IP address as opposed to Hik Connect. It was just coincidence that while I logged in earlier to check something, I was sat with the images on screen and saw that happen.

From your description it sounds as though you have Hik Connect enabled on each individual camera rather than just enabling it in the NVR?

Ok, no problem. I rarely use iVMS 4200 to be honest, and when I do I’m connected locally via the IP address as opposed to Hik Connect. It was just coincidence that while I logged in earlier to check something, I was sat with the images on screen and saw that happen.

From your description it sounds as though you have Hik Connect enabled on each individual camera rather than just enabling it in the NVR?
Yes my 4200 is on local ip also. I use the cams connected to Hikconect because when I view the NVR I can not see movement even though it is configured on the NVR

Back