01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Firmware Incorrect NVR Firmware (for the wrong region) - what should I do?

blackxjr190

Hi Guys, I'm from another country i know, but just after some advice please.
I've recently replaced three G1 cameras with ColorVu ones.
Everything works fine except i don't have the icon to arm/disarm ect the Liveguard features on my hikconnect app. After investigating i found out that i have accidently updated the NVR (DS-7608NI-12/8P) firmware with the latest US version (V4.61.025, Build 220905) not the correct Australian version (V4.60.005, Build 220927)
Being a different region i didn't think it would let me do the upgrade.
Since the correct version has a lower number, I'm guessing one it won't let me update, and two the possibility of locking me out altogether and then requiring re-flashing ?

Any suggestions please?

Regards Michael

Hi @blackxjr190

Have you tried downgrading to the V4.60.005 firmware? There are some firmware versions that are undowngradable but I would still give it a try, it will either work or it will just say firmware failed.

Thanks Dan,
If it fails i guess that means sending it back to the Australian distributer for re-flashing. I'm told it's a 2 week turnaround which is not ideal.
I'm keen to try the downgrade, although I'm going away for two weeks early next month. I'm thinking i should wait till I'm back, just in case it turns pear shaped on me! Especially when it's still functioning.
I can't believe how good the 8mp ColorVu cameras night vision is. 5% supplement light is all i need with a streetlight two doors up.

Hi @blackxjr190

From our experience, the chance of anything going wrong with the firmware is very small, but you are probably right to be cautious if you are going away for a while.

Yes, the ColorVu performance is very impressive but I would make you aware that most Hik ColorVu models come with the exposure set to 1/12 by default which helps it achieve a very clear night image but may also increase motion blur when there is motion in the scene. Before you go away it might be a good idea to check playback for any motion overnight and see if there is any blur because you will be annoyed if something happens while you are away and the evidence captured is all blurry.

If you are seeing motion blur at night you can go to Configuration > Image > Display Settings > Exposure Settings and increase the exposure time to 1/25 or 1/50, adjusting exposure is a balancing act because as you increase it the motion blur will reduce but the image will get darker. It is trial & error to find the sweet spot for your nighttime conditions.

Thank you..
You've given me the confidence to try the upgrade when i get back.
Straight out of the box i was aware of the motion blur issue. I'd read all about it.

I've got all three set at 1/25 exposure with the supplement light at only 5%. Changing to 1/50 just went too dark, requiring more help with lighting from the camera.
In my camera locations 5 % is just enough light to enable a super clear image and being a deterrent as well. But not too bright when you look straight at the cameras.

Reactions: Dan
Back