01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP Address

Bluenose1940

Centurion!
Trusted Member
I have been having problems when trying to view my CCTV images when I am away from home.

It turns out that I need to use the IP address as issued by my Broadband supplier and so I substituted the one that I was using with the alternative.

I set up my Android phone using this amended IP address and it worked a treat. Today I decided to set up my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 to view the images and so I used all of the figures from my phone. Unfortunately it didn't work and, I then tried my phone and that didn't work either. I then checked my IP address on Google and noticed immediately that it was different to what I had been using. I put the new number in and it worked fine.

My broadband provider is Sky, does anyone know if they have changed the IP address for my area and if they have, why do they do it and, do I have to keep checking to see what they have changed it to every time that I go away?

It is standard practice for most ISP’s, I use dyndns.com as a work around. There is a yearly fee for this service.

Home broadband providers will allocate you an IP address but this will change at various times. So it may work for weeks and then Sky will issue a new address.
If you wanted a dedicated static address that always stays the same you would most likely have to go for a business broadband account that gives you one of these addresses. Or as has been mentioned go for a middle man such as dyndns.com that will forward from your current address to you. But there will be a small cost for this.

Thank you for this info folks, very much appreciated as always. I have been researching this (as far as my 79 year old brain will allow;)) and I see that I would have to manually put some sort of information into my router. Is this a straightforward process and how do I get into my router and also, how likely is it that I could mess things up and end up without an internet connection?

Thanks again for your help.

You certainly do not need to have a business broadband account for a static ip address. Give sky a call and simply ask them if they can issue you one. Most broadband providers issue static ip addresses now, sky are one of these, you just need to ask.

Paul, this was the case a while ago but they no longer provide static IP's on home Broadband accounts.

Back