01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Is the DS-2CD2087G2-L a good weather camera?

Robertomcat

Hello, good afternoon. This is my first post on the forum. Thanks for all the information you have here.

I am currently using a surveillance camera together with a Davis weather station, specifically the camera model is Reolink RLC-811-A, but I have disassembled it to return it, because there is no way to configure it correctly in colour mode at night, the software it comes with is very poor in technical configurations.

The camera that I have acquired is the DS-2CD2087G2-L that brings the Color-Vu technology and an inclined connection box, which is the DS-1281ZJ-S, so that when I incorporate it I avoid recording a large part of the street, and only focus on the sky and the part of the mountain.

On other sites I have seen this same camera dedicated to meteorology, and the night recordings are absolutely superb, as it captures all the brightness of the stars in the sky with a very good quality.

Are any of you using a camera with Color-Vu technology for this purpose?

I leave you a 24 hours timelapse video summarized in 6 minutes of a recording made with the Reolink RLC-811A.

Hello, good evening.

After searching a lot about this model of camera, I have decided to buy it because I see that it gives very good results. When I have it installed and configured (compared to the Reolink, this one has infinite configurations), I will upload a video and share it here to add a little more information to the people who are interested in buying it.

Reactions: Dan
Hello again!

I've got the new Hikvision camera installed, and I've been testing it for the last two days. I have found that the WDR setting in manual mode only works in three positions. If you move the slider (no matter if you start from 0, 50 or 100) there is no change until a point where the image changes suddenly.

Here is the channel where I have uploaded the last two videos with the Hikvision: - YouTube -

Real-time image, updated every five minutes: - Imatge -

Last edited:
Thanks @Robertomcat

As you might have realised from the lack of responses we didn't have a huge amount of experience on how these ColorVu cameras would perform when recording the sky, so your videos and live images will be really useful examples both for those wanting to use the ColorVu cameras for the same/similar purpose and also those just want to use them for standard security installs.

Thanks @Robertomcat

As you might have realised from the lack of responses we didn't have a huge amount of experience on how these ColorVu cameras would perform when recording the sky, so your videos and live images will be really useful examples both for those wanting to use the ColorVu cameras for the same/similar purpose and also those just want to use them for standard security installs.
Yes, so people can get an idea, or ask any questions about this camera. I've also had it indoors for two days before putting it outside, and the results are very very good. Only using the light coming through the windows, indoors it looks like daylight, or a sunrise.

@Dan
Hello, good evening. Dan, would it be advisable to incorporate a restart routine to the camera, for example one day a week, or is it something secondary that does not influence the operation of the camera?

What is the purpose of such reboot routines? Thank you.

Hi @Robertomcat

Where have you seen mention of 'reboot routine'?

We don't usually recommend regularly rebooting cameras unless there is an issue or sometimes changing certain settings requires a reboot.

Hi @Robertomcat

Where have you seen mention of 'reboot routine'?

We don't usually recommend regularly rebooting cameras unless there is an issue or sometimes changing certain settings requires a reboot.
Good morning.
In the "Maintenance" section at the bottom is the "Automatic device maintenance" section, where you can set a restart routine.

okay,

This setting has been available on NVRs for a while but I think it has only recently been added to certain new camera models.

Some users set scheduled restarts to avoid hardware failure because sometimes if cameras/NVRs are left running for years without a restart they can fail when there is an out-of-the-blue forced restart (e.g. a power cut).

As it is a new model you should be checking it every couple of months for new firmware and when you update firmware the camera should restart, there shouldn't be any need to restart the camera more regularly than that.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-14 at 16.31.57 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-14 at 16.31.57 (1).jpeg

Back